Chapter 8

The palace ballroom was a magnificent display, decorated with crystal chandeliers and gold hangings, dazzled with a great silvery blaze of light. Exquisite music was played while ladies dressed in rich clothes of muslin and silk danced with distinguished gentlemen. Queen Minerva wore her finest and richest gown along with her rarest and most sparkling jewels. Many could not help but be taken with her appearance.

"Announcing the arrival of his royal highness, Prince Natsu of Alvarez!" Rogue announced.

When Prince Natsu entered the ballroom all bowed before him respectfully. He then approached the throne where Minerva sat.

"Queen Minerva I would like to thank you for allowing me the pleasure to visit your lovely kingdom." He said politely.

"My, you're just as handsome as they all say." Minerva said. "Welcome to our kingdom. I hope that the you are pleased with the ball I have prepared in your honor."

"It's very nice but you really didn't have to go through all the trouble."

"Nonsense you are a royal guest therefore it is no trouble at all. Prince Natsu would you honor me with the first dance?"

"I would love to but I'm not much of a dancer and when it comes to these kind of functions I'm more in it for the free food so I'll just stand on the sidelines until it's time to eat."

Natsu knew he was here to meet the Princess Juvia and see if she would make a potential wife and he was all for it until he found out that he would be attending a ball. He always felt so uncomfortable and out of place at royal balls. He couldn't dance and he didn't know the first thing about talking to young ladies. Every time he tried to talk to a pretty girl he would get nervous and say the wrong things. How on Earth was he supposed to find a wife when he couldn't even speak properly to a princess?

Just then a hush fell over the crowd and all eyes turned to the entrance of the ballroom. Curious, Natsu followed everyone's gaze to see what had captured their attention. The young prince could not believe what his eyes beheld. Descending down the stairway was a charming woman dressed head to toe in gold with blonde hair that rivaled the sunshine. The guests were overwhelmed by her radiance but no one more so than Natsu. He had never seen a girl so wonderous and fair. For a moment he thought that she wasn't even human but instead a pretty fairy. Surely this woman must be the Princess Juvia he had heard so much about. But this woman was not Juvia, she was Lucy the palace scullery maid.

When music started to play Lucy stood on top of her toes and hovered gracefully about the room. Every motion displayed more and more the perfect symmetry and elegance of her figure. The expression in her brown eyes beamed and touched the hearts of the spectators. All present we're enchanted but especially Natsu. He immediately went to meet her and took her by the hand.

"Hello." He said.

"Hello." She said back.

"Princess Juvia I presume?"

"Oh no you are mistaken I am not a princess."

"Well then you must be a noblewoman."

"I am neither royal or noble your highness."

"Well royal, noble, or not I would be honored if you would join me in filling my stomach?"