N I N E

"Wow Raye, this place is beautiful," I gawked taking a seat on a considerably soft chair. The impressive view I had of the restaurant was beyond amazing. Everything from the way the staff was dressed to the lighting was spectacular and I couldn't believe that Raye was the one in charge of such a bustling business.

"I still can't believe your family owns this place," I said despite my failed effort of scolding myself to not get too excited but Raye's reaction was the cutest. She seemed proud that I liked her family's establishment and it made me happy to see her like that. It was something I knew I'd want to see more often— her beaming and happy.

"I'm glad you like it." She said calmly.

"This is my first time coming to an Italian restaurant. "

"Why haven't you before?"

"I don't know, I just haven't," I replied truthfully.

"Or is it because you don't like Italian food?" Raye asked cocking a brow and I shrugged, habitually fiddling with my earrings. "No. I enjoy everything that's Italian," I said and watched Raye's face lit up. Something about her expression revealed that she took what I said and ran with it in every way possible.

"Yeah?" She croaked and I knew she was going to say something sneaky about my comment.

"Yes, why?"

And I was right, a devilish smirk was played across her visage, causing heat to rise to my face. "That means you're going to love me, I'm entirely Italian. If you cut me I bleed pasta," Raye answered and I couldn't help but laugh.

"You're crazy," I said still fiddling with my earring while she laughed with me. Her laugh was cute and the smile on her lips gave me butterflies.

"That may or may not be true, but what I am certain about is that you have an amazing laugh and the way your eyes sparkle when you're entirely consumed by the moment is breathtaking." Raye's confession left grinning like an idiot— how was I going to resist her?
She was everything: beautiful, smart, charming and I know I kept saying but she was. Everything from her chestnut brown hair, to the cleft deep within in her chin, her cute nose, her courteous ways and gentleness bound me to her.

"Thank you," I managed to say, turning away from her to hide my face. Luckily for me, we were distracted at this point when our table was graced with the presence of a waiter whom Raye spoke too in the loveliest tone. It left me wondering if that was her overall attitude when dealing with those who worked under her and if so it was admirable, not many employers knew how to be decent human beings. It wasn't something that deserved praise but sadly, we lived in a world where morality and benignity weren't observed in all.

"Do you always speak that nicely to your staff?" I asked when the waiter left and I could tell my question didn't offend nor surprised her in any way when she returned her attention to me.
"Yes, I do. I always put being a decent human being over everything else." Raye replied.

"I'm sorry if I seemed rude by asking that but-"

"It's fine, it's fine. I know why you asked that. Most people think that because of my lifestyle that I'd be this hasty and ill-mannered type of girl which I am but only when I'm crossed." She replied but I still apologized. "I can see that, I'm sorry for asking that. It was quite stereotypical of me to assume that you'd be-" I was interrupted.

"A typical gangster? I know and it's alright Brie. Anyway, enough about me, tell me how was dinner with your family last night?"

"Better than I expected although they kept asking me who I was dating."

"What did you tell them?" Raye questioned, eyeballing me and I saw excitement behind her pools of honey.

"I told them that I was getting to know someone. I didn't divulge who that someone was."