S E V E N T E E N

"It's been weeks since you've been avoiding us, what's going on with you?"

"Nothing I'm sorry, I'm just busy," I replied and on the other end of the line, I heard Ava sigh. I knew she felt a particular way since Raye and I became serious about our relationship, the time I spent with my friends dwindled. I only saw them at work and even then I was either too busy or distracted.

"Who knew you dating would turn you into this."

"I said I was sorry, and it has nothing to do with me dating,"

"Yes, it does. Since you started hanging out with that mystery chick everything's changed, and we've all noticed."

"For the last time Ava, me not hanging with you guys has nothing to do with this girl. I'm just busier these days,"

"Yeah. Can we at least get to see you tonight, please? We're all going over to this bar and having you around would make it even better." She begged and I felt convicted because I knew full well that I wouldn't be able to make it. Raye and I already made plans to go out together and I couldn't disappoint her, I didn't want too.

"I'm sorry Av, but tonight's not a good time. I'm supposed to have dinner with-" She cut me off before I could finish. "Don't even say it, I get it. Just hit us up whenever you feel up to it. I hope you have a great time out with her."

"C'mon Ava don't be like that."

"I'm not being anyway I shouldn't be Brie, I'm just disappointed is all but anyway, I'll see you around."

I didn't say anything in fear of worsening the tension between us, I allowed her to hang up. After the call ended it left me thinking: Raye and I hadn't been dating that long, almost three months, maybe, the distant and occupied me that Ava was talking about wasn't how she portrayed it. Sure it may have been a few weeks since I last hung out with them outside of work, but my reasons were justified. Whenever they dated they got involved and preoccupied as I was and sometimes even more, and I never complain. I see them every day I work, though sometimes not for long. The point is we always get to see each other.

In my mind, I figured they were just angry because I wasn't feeding them what they wanted and that was everything that went on between me and Raye and also who she was. They still didn't know her name or anything else about her and I figured it got to them. They would never understand, I was scared to let people know that I was her girl. People tend to look at you differently when they don't fully understand something and I didn't want to be judged.

×

She sat across from me at our table, and I studied her in a somewhat peculiar mood. I harboured feelings over the conversation I had with Ava. I was happy to be with my girlfriend at the time, but a part of me felt terrible for a lot of things, particularly my absence from my closest friends.

"Are you alright?" Her words cut through to my train of pitiful thoughts and I removed my eyes from the table to glare at her. I didn't realize how absentminded I was. "Yeah," I said, feigning nonchalance when truly I was conflicted.

"You seem preoccupied, are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm just thinking."

"About what is it me?" The smirk that eased its way across her lips made me giggle. "Could be,"

"Mm could be, I like that." She answered finding my legs underneath the table with hers and momentarily she traced it across my bare calves. The act startled me for a few seconds but then a huge grin appeared on my face. I enjoyed the way she teased me.

"You have no idea what you're starting," I leaned in to whisper and she bent forward regarding me with the known lust glinting in her eyes that I began to love more and more.

"No? I think I know all too well what I'm doing but first I need you to tell me why it seemed like you were lost for a moment."

I pulled away slowly, allowing my back to touch the chair and I studied her in silence. "It's my friends,"

"What about them?"

"They think because I've started dating you that I've given up on them. They constantly tell me that I have more time for you than I do for them,"

"I mean, you should—after all, I'm the one whose catering to your every need." She said with a wink and I blushed.

"Was that a dignified way in you saying that you're the one screwing me?" I asked and she laughed. "Look, you're the one who said it, I didn't but they need to understand that sometimes you guys won't be able to hang out, not just because of me."

"That's what I've been trying to make them get."

"Maybe it's something else that's deeper, ya never know. Do they know who I am or am I still being addressed as the mystery girl among the little circle?" Raye inquired and I paused for a second.

"I haven't yet and I'm starting to believe that could be right. I haven't even properly introduced you guys to each other, so I see your point."

"I'm just saying Brienna, it doesn't mean that you have to let them know who I am. Not unless you want to,"

"I know, I know but I can at least allow you to be familiar with them until I'm ready to announce it to everyone."

"That would also be good. I'd sure like to see these friends of yours that have been giving you such a hard time." She replied and her words sounded somewhat territorial and from her perspective, I understood why.

We hadn't been there long at her family's restaurant when a guy came up to us. He resembled Raye in some areas, but his hair was darker. He looked like he was in his early forties, and he was short. I watched her stood up, hugging him, a huge smile appeared on both their faces.

"Uncle Luca," Raye uttered and immediately it became clear that I was right. They were related.

"Sweetheart, I didn't expect you to be here tonight." He said looking past his niece and over to me and for a moment I saw his eyes glint with intrigue. They had the same eyes, light brown and watchful.

"Yeah, I decided to bring my friend here for dinner," Raye said and I listened closely to the fact that she didn't address me as her girlfriend. It didn't bother me but she seemed like the person who would be more than proud to show off their significant other without hesitation.

"Oh, so a friend huh?" I heard him say and a brow shot up a bit. I watched as he brushed past her swiftly, making his way over to me. I tensed a little as he came to where I sat, standing just beside me towered over me a little, looking down.

"Hello doll, I'm Raye's uncle, Luca, but everyone calls me shorty," Luca said extending his hand and I took it, he held it firmly in his grasp.

"Nice to meet you, Mr Luca, I'm Brienna."

"Ahh, such a lovely name for a lovely girl,"

"Thank you," I couldn't help but blush.
Was the entire family so confident and smooth? I questioned.

"I hope you're enjoying our little restaurant here, with the food and the wine. Does she bring you often?" He queried and I looked at Raye for answers but she was busy hiding her amusement over his interrogation of me.

"I do! It's a very lovely place and no, not quite this is my second time back."

"Oh, well I hope to see you here again in the future." He said with an affable grin.

The conversation ended between us rather quickly, Luca reached out and brought my hand to his lips, he pecked me softly, and I tensed. "Have a wonderful night Brienna." The way he said my name was similar to the way Raye does it and it left me a bit flustered.

With that, he went back over to Raye and I saw the way she looked at me with her rapt gaze.

"So when were you going to tell us that you've been dating someone new?" I heard him whisper and she laughed, which caused my cheeks to grow hot. So he knew!