T H I R T Y - O N E

"What the fuck do you mean someone trashed a few places?" I heard Raye snap. She was livid as I looked on. She'd stopped pacing and was now clenching her fist tightly. Her usually soft features contorted sharply from the rage.

It had been a few weeks since there was any disturbance within their mob, and it seemed as if everything was at a standstill. No one got injured or killed. The violence ended at the death of the young man who had been rumoured to have died at the hands of Raye.
But now as I sat listening to her go off, I felt a new ping of anxiety rise to the surface. I knew this could mean something new. It has to be.

"It all happened overnight?"

"Don't you fucking know who did it?"

"I don't care! I need answers and I need them before the day ends. You're going to find the sons of bitches that did it and we're going to have a little walk with them, alright?"

"Good, now go and be useful, the fuck. Talking 'bout you don't know,"

She had ended the call dramatically,  turned and now all her attention was focused on me. Of course, my face expressed my curiosity and concerns over the matter so before I could've even asked about it, she went right into talking.

"A few bars and other small businesses I help to run was targeted last night. Apparently, they were emptied. All the money is gone, supplies and some other things were destroyed."

"Oh my god, that's terrible." I got to my feet and was now standing at her side.

She wasn't worried, but angry and the type of angry where her face changed its colour. Her forehead was creased with lines of frustration and I knew she was fatigued. It was hard doing what she did, I saw it first-hand.

Recently I had begun to stay at her place more frequently, merely because I felt comfortable, way comfortable than I had ever felt and because of that, it allowed me to see just how exhausting her life was.

All things criminally related aside, Raye was a busy woman. She had businesses she assisted in running, she had actual people working for her and how she had managed to do all of it while balancing a fully functioning relationship with me on the side was an enigma but I appreciated it.

"The guys don't know who did it," She added and I hugged her waist. She felt tense within my hold but I held her tight nevertheless, causing her to slowly relax.

"Let them figure out who did it. I know it's bothering you already and probably will until you find out but please don't worry too much." I said and she stared down at me.

"I can't help it Brienna, it's hard not to.  You don't understand the severity of this."

"I do, actually," I frowned at the way she uttered those words to me. It was harsh, angry and I hated that she was that way.

"Do you?"

"Yes, I get it. It's just a matter of time before people start dying again or before you get hurt, I know okay."

"I'm not going to get hurt,"

"How do you know that huh?" I asked and she frowned harder.

"I know how to handle myself and very well."

"I see. Why are they so bent on attacking you? Why isn't the police into you the way they are, I know it's them," I said and she watched me carefully.

"I don't know, they want control I guess."

"Okay,"

"It's exactly why I've been asking you to move in with me before things start going south because it will. I need you close at all times and I need you protected. I can't do that if you live there and I live here."

"I'm already here Raye, and I'm fine. Nothing's going to happen to me, at least not now that I have you." I said and she smiled for a few seconds. She tried to hide it at first but it showed nevertheless and it was beautiful.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm making you understand that you're doing a good job because look we're quite a few months into our relationship and not a single thing has happened to me."

"Still, we can't risk it. I can't risk it."

"They don't even know who I am," I said hoping to myself that it was true. I truly hoped that none of her enemies knew who I was, but a part of me laughed nervously at the thought. I knew otherwise and I had proof.

Christopher had said himself, who needed to know who I was already knew and it still scares me to think of it.
Its why I suddenly started staying with Raye more often. I didn't move in officially but I was there more days than I was at my own apartment only because I was afraid. I still didn't know how to bring myself to let Raye know how scared I was, and it's why I slowly started to stay where I knew I was guaranteed to be safe.

Or at least I hoped so.

* *

I didn't know what else came out of the matters Raye had been tending too while I was there with her place, but I left for work. Later that night I went back to my own apartment.

What I opened my door too as I got home left me both terrified and angry.
Somehow, someone had gotten inside and trashed everything and I mean everything. The entire place was upside down. Drawers were emptied, glass was broken all over.

It only took a few seconds for it to register before I was ringing Raye's phone upon impulse.

"Hey baby, I'm kinda busy right now but are you okay?" She was quick to say and with shaky hands, I held the phone tightly to my ear.

"Someone was here," I said faintly, my eyes all over the place.

"What, Brienna, what are you talking about?"

"My apartment, it's been fucked up. Someone got in here and trashed everything," I said shakily.

"Get out of there and do it now! Get in a cab and tell that fucker don't stop driving. Meet me at the restaurant."

"Okay," was all I could muster up to say before I quickly left. I ran across the hall and into the elevator, pushing the bottom for the ground floor. My mind was racing all over and my heart felt like it would beat its way out of my chest.

A/n

Sorry if the chapter isn't as good as some of you may have been hoping for and I apologize also for not updating once every other day as I've been slipped into doing.
I see that people are still reading as I post and I can't thank you guys enough for doing that 😘
💜💜
I promise that the coming chapters will be better and maybe even longer.