F O R T Y - N I N E

"Brienna,"

Her smile was still as infectious and warm and perfect. The twinkle in her light brown eyes was just as perfect as the last time I could remember seeing her. She looked stunning, not the same as I remembered but still beautiful.

She'd grown her hair out so it was not short anymore and above her shoulders, but longer hanging by her chest. Raye looked extremely happy of course, hence the obvious grin on her lips which left me standing like a brick wall unsure of how to react.

I was staring at her as if I'd seen a ghost, while she stood calmer than ever with her hands inside the pockets of her jeans. A few times I tried opening my mouth to address her but nothing came out which led me to settle with it close.

"I see you're having a hard time registering my unexpected visit." She said breaking the silence between us and oh did her voice eased out smooth like honey. So many flashbacks popped up around me and I felt my heart rate spiking at the way she spoke to me, along with her gaze.

"You-uh, I. Raye?"

I stuttered like an idiot lifting my brows and she chuckled. Her perfect smile, her perfect face, her perfect cleft, everything warmed my heart and affected me in ways I was not ready for again.

"Why, I almost believe you've seen a ghost Brienna."

"Are you though?" I asked naively and she chuckled yet again.

"No, not a ghost at least from what I remember I'm still very much alive."

"Okay," I whispered to myself.

I was beyond shocked to have Raye stand at my door but a part of me also felt something else.
Excitement, fear, nervousness.
I was a complete mess and I could tell she noticed it.

"You seem, confused at me being here. Maybe a little scared. If I'm making you feel uncomfortable please tell me so that I can leave."
She said but I knew I couldn't even if she held a gun to me like the first time.
I was just so drawn to her more as my mind was flooded with memories, memories I tried so hard to forget.

"Finally, after how long I get to see you and you want to know if I'm uncomfortable in your presence and want you to leave?

No, if anything I-I want to talk to you. You're here for a reason right?"

"Yes. I would like for us to talk, so can I please come in?"

I stepped aside at her request, giving her way to enter and she smiled at me very warm and sweet.
While coming through the door she accidentally brushed her shoulder against mine and I froze.
So many memories started hitting me again and I turned around to find her scanning my apartment. All the old feelings rushing back and I felt some tears stinging my eyes, causing me to blink rapidly.

Where were you the entire time?

Raye had moved all the way through until she was standing in the living room. This apartment was a bit bigger than my last and I could tell she had a comment to make about it.

"Nice place you got here, I like it."

"T-thank you. Can I get you anything to drink; a soda, water, liquor?" I asked putting emphasis on the latter after I felt like in a situation like this we both needed a drink.
Raye chuckled and so did I.

"Water's just fine,"

"Okay. I'll be back in a sec," quickly I left the room and headed towards the kitchen.

Once in there alone I sighed a breath of relief and fished a glass from the cabinet. Filling it with chilled water from the refrigerator, my hands trembled the entire time.
I was nervous, scared fucking shitless yet strangely pleased to be seeing Raye again.