F O R T Y- S I X

Since opening up to my parents at dinner things have started to become a lot easier for me. I found that I didn't feel that burden I once had to keep my life private. Instead, I was flooded with an even larger support system because they were there for me, along with my friends and Cas.

It had been a few weeks since and along with the therapy I started gaining a sense of who I was before getting involved in the most outrageous things that I would've never predicted.
I started sleeping a bit more and the terrors weren't that many, the grief and guilt started to dissipate slowly, but at the back of my mind, the fear was still there. The fear that people could be watching my sister and me, and not the good kind.

Each day I'd think of Raye, I could never forget her and the more I did the best memories were the one to surface.
I wasn't sad anymore that we had separated, I had a little bit of hope.
The conversation she and I had the while ago still stuck with me and I knew no matter long we were apart, she'd still love and care for me and likewise.

Her uncle had kept up to her expectations and made sure that I was living okay and was safe. Unannounced one day he showed up to where my sister and I were living.

"Brie, there's a guy at the door for you," Cassie found me in my room to state.
I was confused because I wasn't expecting anyone, not even my friends and they were the only ones who knew where she and I lived.

Upon emerging from my quarters and making my way to the door I saw Luca standing respectfully outside. When he saw me a smile appeared at his lips, and his eyes twinkled the very way Raye's own would.

"Brienna," he said my name quite the way she would as I neared. He reached out and took my hand within his, the smile never leaving his face.

"Luca, I-uh I wasn't expecting you."

"Well it's a good thing I suppose, surprises aren't meant to be foreseen," he stated and I chuckled.
Cassie had long left our side and was now somewhere I was sure eavesdropping on our conversation as siblings do.

"Would you like to come in?"

"No that's okay, I haven't come to stay long. I'm just checking on you making sure that you're okay." He said and I could see that he was sincere in words, he did promise after all that he'd keep an eye on me. Even Raye said it.

"That's nice of you and I'm alright by the way or at least I'm trying to be."

"Raye mentioned to me that she spoke to you awhile ago. You know she saw you when you were at the restaurant that day with me?"

His words caused me to reminisce and without a doubt he was true.
I knew it was her car I'd seen when his son had been taking me home but I wasn't entirely sure she was the one driving it.

"I'm aware she'd been there," I said, trying to act like the realization of it once again wasn't weighing me down.

She had a chance to see me so that we could've talked in the flesh and she didn't take it.
Still, that upset me more than anything else, but I get why she didn't.

I was sure Luca saw the way my mood had changed and I watched as he quickly reached into the pocket of his jacket. Pulling out an envelope, he stretched it out at me and I frowned.

"What's this?"

"Raye, she asked me to make sure that you were looked after and I'm aware that you've left your job. She just wants to make some things a little easier for you," He stated and I knew from then on what the package contained.
I started shaking my head and he seemed taken aback.

"You don't want it?"

"No, I don't and I'm sorry."

"It's not from me sweetheart, it's from her. She just asked me to deliver it." I could see him begging me silently to take it. I sighed a little, looking at the envelope outstretched towards me before I took it slowly, in my mind I sorta wondered how much it was this time.

The first and only time I had ever accepted anything from Raye was the one the first time we met. She left me a huge slob of cash in an envelope and I did my best to return it after having doubts about its source.
I later kept it but didn't spend a dime, I did donate it as she'd recommended though.

I knew she would eventually learn that I had left my job and maybe for that, she felt like I'd need help but truth be told I didn't but I wouldn't let her know that.

"If you need anything at all, don't ever be afraid to let me know," Luca mutters softly and I watched as he pulled out a piece of paper with his number on it.
"Don't ever be shy, you're like family."

"Thank you,"

"You're welcome. I'll get going now. It was nice seeing you Brienna. I hope everything turns out alright."

His words were again sincere as I could see his light brown eyes as it grew soft regarding me. I felt calmed by those words and I allowed it to rest in me.
He gives me a final curl of his lips and leaves. I closed the door and immediately Cassie appeared behind me and I was startled.

"Well?"

"That's Luca, Raye's uncle. He came to see me." I answered moving away from the door and into the living room.
My sister followed and plumped down beside me on the couch.

"And?"

"He gave me this, he said it's what Raye wanted me to have," I answered handing over the envelope and she took it. Peering inside her eyes widened and she turned to me.

"Holy fuck, she sent you money?"

"I figured," I stated nonchalantly.

"Why aren't you phased by this?" She asked taking out the cash.

"Because it's something she tends to do."

"So she knows that you've left your job and also where we're living?"

"Yep, all of those things and don't worry, nothing's going to happen."

"I'm not worried about that. Why didn't she just bring it herself if she has an idea where you are?"

"She wouldn't," I said.

Cassie then puts down the envelope with the money and turned to me.

"She still cares about you Brie and I know you know it too. Why else would she do this?
I'm aware that you still love and miss her, you're allowed too and what she did means she loves and cares for you too."

"Yeah," my response was vague and didn't do justice to what I felt. I stood up from my seat and turned to Cas.

"I'm not entirely sure what to do with all that money, so I'll let you have it."

"Bri, wait," she called out and I ignored her to bury myself behind my door.
I don't know what happened but something changed in my mood making me feel somewhat angry maybe.

I was mostly confused but underneath laid some anger about the entire situation. It was hard to move past it when every once in awhile something pops up to remind me again.
I didn't want to forget but I wanted to move past it enough so I won't be bothered, but I can't when Raye keeps finding ways and means of reminding me why I feared the things she did.
I probably wasn't going to get over anything fully in the near future and I knew it.

This was going to be a long ride and I needed to prepare myself for it.

A/n

Sorry for the short chapter today but I wasn't in a writing mood.
If it wasn't what some of you were expecting I'd like to apologise again...
Hopefully, the end makes up for the lack of effort in some of the chapters ✌️.