The One with Narcissa

Hermione was shaking, quite literally. In fact she had been from the time she decided to confront the Malfoys on Draco's condition. She was standing in front of the Malfoy manor. The place held traumatic memories of her with Bellatrix which she is still fighting against in her dreams. After 10 cups of strong coffee and a great dose of pep talk from Marissa, she was ready to apparate from her office.

Marissa was the only one apart from Mark who knows Draco's name was in the assaulted people list. Marissa was quick to notice her change in body language the moment she saw his name. They removed his name from the list. The plan was to have Draco treated properly without people knowing. She cannot hide it from Ginny or Harry but she can postpone telling them as long as possible. That is where Mark and Marissa came in, to manage things at the office and keep people off track.

She could have easily sent them to enquire, but Lucius might hurt or demean them. Or might not take the issue seriously. But mostly because she was feeling very sad, she didn't think she had concerns for Draco, may be guilty because of her ignorance but not sad. Many people are injured, why feel bad only for Draco? Because she was kind, that's what kind people did. Inspire of whatever he did in the past, he needs care when in pain.

Mark and Marissa were initially reluctant as the task involves keeping secrets from the Chosen one but on seeing Hermione's helpless face, they agreed to hide the information. She didn't know why she kept this from Harry. She thought people would freak out if they see even the Malfoy family harmed. She wanted people trust her so she can figure out the cause and execute the solution. If Harry knows, the thing is no longer a secret, he has numerous people around him all the time wanting information on the progress of investigation, it is a great risk.

Now, a greater risk. Talking to Lucius and Narcissa.

She was shown into the waiting room by a very smart looking elf. She had to close her fists to remain calm. She cannot let her past affect her, she needs her strengt.

"Nice seeing you, Granger". Narcissa walked in, looking very old beyond her actual age and her skin very pale. She looked as if smiling was hurting her. She needed proper food and a good night's sleep, Hermione thought to herself.

"You too, Mrs.Malfoy. I don't wish to hold you long, let me come to the matter. I came here to enquire about Draco."

Narcissa shivered slightly, walking feebly till she reached a chair and sat down. She looked at Hermione.

"What about my son"?

"We recently received a report that he was assaulted badly. He is one of the many people injured. Investigation is still underway. I want to assure you we value your privacy."

"I am tired, Granger. What do you want?"

"We want you to entrust him to our healers. Only few who will be sworn to keep it a secret. He will be taken care of and treated properly until full recovery"

"And how do you think we are not doing it now?"

"Because we have been watching your house and no healer has come or gone. Draco never gets out, he was last seen many weeks ago. We are better than you give credit for"

"Sorry, it's a no. You may go". She rose.

"Please, madam. Don't make this difficult for us. He needs our help, whether you like it or not. It is my duty. And I am not so low as you to still stick to old rivalry." Hermione rose too, her chin help up.

Narcissa gave a half laugh. She silently signalled and the same elf who opened the door came and stood beside Hermione.

"This way, Miss Granger. " The elf bowed and directed to a door in the far left of the hall.

This is it. She wiped her palms against her skirt, her heart beating wild, her mind full of so many thoughts and a single determination piercing through her veins. Draco Malfoy. Her ex enemy and now a man in need of help.