"I don't even remember why I hated you.."

Hermione was reading the report that Ron sent and she didn't gain an ounce of confidence that Draco would be cured. The report said only what she already knew anyway. Physically stable but with injuries which are healing fast. Mentally passive, subject cannot respond to stimuli or touch. But there was a new information that he has sustained internal injuries as well which complicates thing.

"Join me for lunch?" Ron asked, having just apparated to Hermione's chambers.

"Aah! You scared me."

"What are you reading so intently anyway?"

"Your initial assessment report of Draco Malfoy. Which does nothing to calm me, I may add"

"Did you expect a diagnosis of viral fever? That's just how the things are. And..I have a question for you". He hesitated.

"I know. Of all the patients, why are you so invested in Draco's condition, is that right? Don't you get it? He was once The Malfoy, now he is just a living body. That doesn't shake you?"

"It shocks me, yes. Because he was stupid enough not been able to defend himself in case of attack"

"You said the physical injuries are healed. Look, there has got to be a reason he is unstable in the mind. Find something! Anything!" Hermione yelled with tears in her eyes.

"That's not my job. Hermione listen, I know this thing is huge and all, but you have to calm down. He is my patient and I will try everything to cure him. You can be assured that I will not let our past differences affect my duties as a healer. I am not that cheap."

"Thank you, I know you will give your best. I don't know why I am restless, it is just not right..not how I imagined he would turn out to be.."

"We will sort this out. You have to trust me, ok?"

"Yes, otherwise I wouldn't have confided in you." She held his hand.

"Good. Now these are the potions I have prepared." He handed her many bottles and powder boxes. "I think his physical strength will make him fight his ither ailments. So that's what we are doing. Here you will find potions and powders for bone and nerve strengthening. Dosage and time is given in the sheet. I will tell you some exercises we can make him to. It will initiate movement. The other potions are still getting prepared. My fellows will deliver it to you when complete."

She grasped everything and safeguarded the medicines.

"Now woman, do you want food or not?"

She smiled a little,grateful for his understanding.

"I need a moment. You go on"

She walked over to the next room in her chambers arranged specifically for Draco. He was lying on his back on a bed specially designed. She made sure he gets proper nutrients and water through an automated system at regular intervals. A woman will come regularly to clean the room.

He was fragile and weak. She went over to him, kneeled down beside the bed and touched his cold face.

"Hello, Draco. It's me, Granger, remember? Oh you won't. Mudblood? No, not a reaction? Fine then. You know, people ask me why I am so interested in your case when so many others are also injured. How can I tell them when I don't know myself? Why is it something deep stirs in me whenever I see you this weak? Because I have always seen you as a strong man and now you are just a patient? May be because you once were my enemy and now I don't even remember why I hated you?"

She paused, allowing a moment for her damned mind to stop rethinking her Hogwarts days. She smiled a little, reminiscing about the bitter sweet memories. She looked at Draco's form again and traced her palm through his arm lying on his side.

"What would people think when they see you like this? Pity, shock or just satisfaction? You know you have done some pretty mean things, you can't deny them that feeling." She laughed sadly.

"But even you Draco, even you deserve a second chance, don't you think? That is why I have taken this up with so much discretion. I don't want you to be put under media and public eye, to all their hate again. I want you to have a peaceful healing period, make sure you use it ok? Still nothing? All right, let me go before Ron thinks I have gone mad. But I must admit, this feels weirdly nice, like an adventure after all these years." She laughed.

An adventure indeed..