The Self-Reflection

"That is the fourth family we visited without asking any questions. What are we doing here, m'am?" Mark huffed.

"I don't know either. Why didn't you ask anything, Draco? I thought you wanted to question them. Any problem?"

"I said I wanted to come but not to question them. Did you see them? They are shaken, hardly have any money or anyone to support them. All they needed were comforting words, which I gave, not the same bunch of people badgering for information."

"You are right, Draco. But I thought you might know the attackers since you were.." Mark hesitated.

"Since I was what? A budding death eater back then? You can say it, Mark. I am used to it."

"No I meant, powerful. Your family had so many connections. Didn't mean to offend you, sorry"

"Anyway, Draco is right. We cant expect anything more from the victims. Let's get back and regroup. Mark, get yourself together. This is serious and needs patience to be solved. The attackers, they are not just messing around. I think the giant is somehow connected and many more events might happen if we are not careful." Hermione spoke sternly.

"The giant? What is going on, Hermione?"

"I will tell you today, Draco. Let's go now"

"I am going to the ministry. Let me see if Mr.Potter needs me."

"So you can avoid Marissa? Nice try, buddy. Harry is coming to our place so you can meet him there" Hermione was angry.

"I am not avoiding her, m'am"

"Cut the crap, Mark. We all know you are solely finishing the tasks assigned to both of you. You thought it would be easy to push her away? You know she has a low self esteem and you are using it to your advantage. That girl is precious and she values the way you see her. Be man enough to tell her you are not ready for serious relationship if that's the case. Don't belittle her skills" Draco spoke, with his brows raised.

"Now I regret we treated you" Mark chimed in.

Hermione laughed. They apparated together to discuss further actions.

--------------------------------+---------------------

"Woah! That is a gorgeous croissant, Mar. Thanks!" George smiled. They were in a meeting, which now suddenly turned to luncheon. Arrays of food neatly arranged, prepared by Ginny with help from Marissa and Luna.

After a heart warming lunch, everyone was seated in the main room, Draco lying down on the couch with Hermione sitting near his legs.

"Dare I ask what is the next plan?" Harry slowly started.

"I am all ready to carry out whatever you people say" George piped in, enthusiastically.

"I have made a report. Here" Marissa gave a file to Harry. "It has the list of affected people, their details along with lifestyle and related families. Also included is a description whoever the victims saw during the events. Made it when you all were away. Thought it might help" she explained with a slight smile.

"It's a huge help, Mar. Thank you! Since we didn't collect new information from them, it's important we don't lose anything they already said. Potter, um, about today.." Draco trailed.

"Hermione told me, it is fine. In fact your choice was smart. These people need the assurance. Coming from you, it means even more to them. Keep doing it, Draco. Make regular visits to reassure them that we are here and doing our best. " Harry patted him on the back.

"It helps your health too. Talking about these events lessens the stress on your mind" Ron spoke.

Draco looked at Hermione and raised a brow. "Ahem..about these events, Hermione..anything you want to add? About a giant, perhaps?"

She fidgeted and looked at Ron.

"Mate, I know it's frustrating but we thought.."

"It might damage me more. I have had enough, Ron. Please ...I need to know. Especially since it makes this woman fidget which I have never seen her do" he pointed at Hermione.

So they told him. About the giant freaky man, the curse, about Draco's response on hearing her scream, everything.

He held her hand when hearing about the cruciatus curse and she pressed back telling him subtly that she is all right.

"That scream must have affected you deeply, Draco. Your mind must have recognised it as the same sound you heard back in your Manor..back when Bella.." Marissa spoke

On a glare from Mark, she stopped.

"It's ok, Mark. At least I reacted the second time, huh!" There was something in Draco's voice.

"Shut up, Draco. This is the second time today. Morning you said you can take people calling you a death eater, now this. You have to stop blaming yourself." Hermione sounded strong.

"I am not blaming myself, Hermione. I just accepted the way things are. Nothing to be worried about. I am all right, really"

"Right." She challenged him.

He smiled a little and patted the space next to him. She released a breath and went to sit down beside him, her hands now touching his hair.

He kept looking at her, stirring a strange warmth inside her chest.

She smiled. He didn't smile back. He gently laid his head down on her lap and closed his eyes.

She swallowed and suddenly became aware of the people around but began caressing his hair anyway. She couldn't help it, he was all vulnerable, making her melt.

She slowly arched her head back, welcoming the calming effect he had on her.

Marissa nodded to Harry and Ron, signaling them to leave. One by one, everyone left, leaving the duo asleep on the bed.

--------------------------------------------------

Draco, who had been awake all along, slowly opened his eyes to make sure they were alone.

Seeing Hermione is asleep, he tried to put his hands on her shoulders to draw her closer, resting her head on his shoulders. He ruffled her hair a little and hummed softly.

He began deciding a security scheme for the people to prevent future attacks. When he grew tired, he slowly put his pen and notebook away, making her stir.

"Shh...go back to sleep..I am right here" he assured her.

She moaned a little and continued sleeping.

He thought about the incident again. How awful it must have been for her, after all these efforts to make him all right, suffering in the hands of a crazy man. He deserved the punishment, not her. Not this lovely soul, bearing not a hint of anger on him even after knowing his past.

He doesn't deserve it, not the kindness, not this group of people worrying about him. He deserved to rot. Tears welled up in his eyes, making him shudder a little.

He didn't know how long he silently sobbed, before falling asleep.