Victor Krum is here!

Sometimes things work out so unexpectedly wonderful that it feels surreal. Hermione can attest to this very well the following days.

Draco gradually showed improvement in his overall condition after he initially 'reacted' to her voice. They began to slowly increase his exercise time to make him more flexible.

One day in particular will be etched in Hermione's memory forever. While she was taking him on his usual evening stroll around the park, she had sat down on a table. She was feeling so peaceful she started to hymn a tune, her own, with her voice not even audible to people nearby. But Draco, seated in his special chair facin her, seemed to listen. In fact his face was getting an intense change when she leaned over curiously to check. His eyes then suddenly blinked, causing her to back up in utter shock. She gasped loudly , closing her mouth with her hands, silent tears falling free on her cheeks.

That was the starting point for many such exciting improvements from him. He started reacting little by little to touch, her fingers once eliciting a twitch of his skin. Then came heat and light stimuli, he flinched when a candle came very near his skin and he blinked on exposed to bright light.

Everyone around them cooperated, now believing he can be cured. George dedicated a chunk of his time in developing little 'experiments' to test and improve Draco's condition. Molly kept praying and handled his diet (a combination of lots of veggies and fresh fruits, sprouts, rice and moderate meat). Ron regularly visited him, took tests and recorded the results, he was very happy when on subsequent results, there was noticable improvement. Ginny started educating other victims on how to improve their conditions by gaining tips from Draco's diagnosis.

Harry was given the task of enquiring victims ' families which Hermione was initially planning to do. When he asked her, however, she said 'Let me see to it he is stable, then I will track the beast and hunt it down. Till then, please keep the investigation going. I can't let my absence affect the case. I want them punished, whoever did this to Draco and the others." Harry just smiled and agreed, she was indeed right.

Another person was ready to surprise her, as well. When she was having lunch one day, she received a visitor, a Victor Krum. She was obviously pleased and shocked at the same time.

"Hey, Vic. Nice seeing you, been long time. Have a seat"

"Thanks 'mione. How are you doing?"

"Good, but busy. This assault case is getting a lot of our time. You heard about it, I suppose?"

"Of course, it's all in the news. I came to talk about something else, however"

"Oh, yes. Please, how may I help you?"

"It would be a great favor if you would join me for lunch tomorrow"

Oh. Unexpected. Did he mean what she thought he meant?

"Um..did you just ask me out on a date?"

"If yes, would you be willing to go?"

"Um..why not..I mean..I am not seeing anyone right now..but um..I am very busy right now..so"

His face split up in a radiant smile. He was handsome, in a conventional way. Tall, dark, powerful and famous. Who could say no?

"That wouldn't be a problem at all. Just 10-15 minutes in the restaurant down the street, they have great Chinese food, your favourite. Pick you up in your cabin at 12?"

Oh my, he had it already planned. "Sounds good, but let's meet in front of my office and go together?"

"Sure. Thank you 'mione. Thank you for accepting, I am very happy."

"My pleasure".

When they later met, he greeted her with a rose. She was feeling special, no doubt. But there was no excitement, she just hoped the time would be spent comfortably. It did. They talked a lot, she didn't feel awkward, it was like talking to an old friend. No sort of butterflies in her stomach, just another lunch with a friend.

While they were eating their dessert he asked, "How's the case going? Any progress?"

She didn't feel like continuing the conversation, it was boring. She wanted to return to Draco, check on him.

"Yeah, it's going steady. Um..sorry to cut short, it's getting a little late. Let me get back. Thanks for the lovely food."

His face showed a little disappointment but he recovered fast. "Sure, thanks for coming. Take care. See you later?"

"Um..yeah will try. Bye!"

----------------------------------------------

Back in her room that night, she wondered why she didn't feel anything more than friendship for Victor Krum. They had dated once but there was no spark to be rekindled. But the oddest thing was she had felt a pang of excitement, anticipation when she thought of returning to Draco. What did the immobile, unstable Draco have against a famous handsome sportsman?

She had to try very hard to sleep that day...