Chapter 10: A Bushel and a Peck (Kelci)

Two weeks into the new school year and Taylor and I already had our schedules synchronized. We'd meet at my locker before first bell near the trophy case where Noah and his crew hung out. Taylor claimed to be over him, but I knew better.

Sadly we had no classes together all morning, so at lunch we caught up. We ate in the drama room to avoid the noisy, crowded quad. Mr. Merkel didn't mind. He seemed to enjoy our incessant chatter while playing Candy Crush or scrolling through Facebook at his desk in the back of the room. He didn't act like he was listening, but every now and then he inserted his gasps of shock, or mumbles of disapproval on various juicy topics of gossip.

"Kelci," Mr. Merkel peered over his laptop. "How's your mom?"

I passed an accusatory look over at Taylor, who shrugged. I hadn't told anyone other than Taylor about my mom's cancer. How did he know? 

"Okay, I guess," I said. I'd have to tell my teachers sooner or later, especially since I'd be out for a week helping my mom recover from surgery.

"She's a strong lady," he said coming over to join us. He pulled a desk up and sat next to me. 

"Actually, I was supposed to tell you that I will be absent tomorrow. I'm going with her to her doctor's appointment," I explained.

"No problem," Mr. Merkel said smoothing the thin strands of hair on his chin.

"I'll probably miss quite a few days helping her recover," I continued.

"Okay," Mr. Merkel's brow furrowed. "I'm glad your mom has you to help her, but who is going to be there for you?"

"Duh!" Taylor proclaimed slightly offended.

"Of course. I know you two are like Sonny and Cher," he laughed.

"Who?" Taylor and I both said in unison.

"Sonny and Cher. You know 'I got you babe,'" he looked at us with wide eyes. "'I got you to hold my hand. And I got you to understand...'" he sang. Taylor and I snickered. I loved Mr. Merkel, but sometimes I think he was a few decades behind the rest of us. 

"Oh, like Beyonce and Jay-Z!" I exclaimed.

"No," he said, offended. 

"I think you're in the wrong century, Mr. Merk," Taylor teased.

"Never mind," he relented shaking his head. "What I mean is that you shouldn't focus all your energy into your mom's illness, Kelci. I know your sister is in New York, but you need to let her help as much as possible."

"I know."

Satisfied, Mr. Merkel got up, smoothed his slacks, and returned to his desk. He grabbed a card and handed it to me. Cassidy Watson, Model and Talent Management, it read.

"I want you to call my friend," he said holding up his hand at my protest. "She's local. She can get you jobs in the local market, and she works with agents in Los Angeles and New York."

"Mr. Merkel, as much as I'd love to, I really can't go off to auditions right now," I explained. "Even if I booked something, I would not be available." I had told my mom the same thing when the LA agent who scouted me at camp called again asking when we would be able to come out for a visit. My focus was on helping my mom through treatment. Acting would always be there, after my mom was better.

Taylor took the card. "Thank you, Mr. Merkel," she said on my behalf. We packed up our lunch things and headed off to fifth period, the only class we actually had together.