Chapter 31: In Focus (Kelci)

My good friend and stylist, Janie Parker, agreed to help plan the wardrobes for Lorin's wedding. The bridesmaids' dresses were sleeveless georgette A-line satin with a drape back in Victorian lilac. At the fitting, we were all traipsing around in our dresses like beauty queens, while Janie tried to keep up with us to write down measurements, and pin us up where needed.

"I have an announcement to make," Lorin said.

"You're pregnant!" Annie guessed.

"God no," Lorin laughed. "I got the job at Ari Records working with their audio engineers and producers."

"That's amazing!" Annie said. "They're going to love you."

"Well, I got an internship at West Coast Magazine," Taylor announced.

"Oh, my god. You're moving to LA?" I really needed my best friend now more than ever.

"Yep. Know anyone who needs a roommate?"

"Well, Lorin's moving out. And I'll soon be unemployed, so that's perfect timing," I said.

"What?" Everyone stopped buzzing around.

"Yep. They cancelled the show." I tried not to sound as devastated as I felt.

"No way," Lorin said.

"I'm so sorry." Taylor hugged me.

"We need drinks." Annie started serving up glasses of wine.

"No. No. No. No." Janie stopped us. "Take the dresses off first."

We stripped, and then it was Lorin's turn. We all sat on the couch with our camera phones poised and ready. Nothing could have prepared me for the rush of emotions when I saw my sister step into the room in her wedding dress.

"Wow," Taylor said.

"No kidding," Annie said. "Come on spin around."

Janie fluffed her out a bit, and stood back smiling. "Perfection."

I sat there with my mouth half open, unaware that I had not weighed in on the dress verbally. I had seen the pictures online, but those models did not do that dress justice. It was a white satin sleeveless A-line dress with detailed hand beading at the neck, waist, hem, and all along the chapel length train.

"You're so beautiful, Lor," I managed to say after a moment. I wiped at the tears in her eyes as I hugged my sister. "I can't believe you're getting married."

"Alright, alright. You're gonna wrinkle her," Janie said pulling me away. "Let's see the shoes." She produced the cutest silk beaded sandals that complemented the dress perfectly.

Lorin was the most stunning bride I had ever seen. I only wished mom was here to see her gliding back and forth across the room, spinning and posing for the girls. She would have loved every minute of it.

***

The last day of shooting Hyland Square was hard for me. Each time a cast member wrapped on their final scene there were speeches and hugs and tears. By the time I got to my final scene, I was exhausted and ready to go home. But first, I had to attend the wrap party, which involved an enormous cake, lots of laughs, dancing, and pictures. I was really going to miss the cast and crew who had become like a family for the past three years.

When I got home, Gary met me at the front steps.

"Hey, you're out late. What's up?" Kelci asked.