Chapter 25: Up Next (Kelci/Lorin)

Only three days after my final scene wrapped on Jaded, I started getting stir crazy. Cassidy had worked overtime scheduling auditions for me as soon as we learned of my character's demise on the show. Waiting on call backs from auditions for roles that I didn't even really want, but desperately needed, was brutal. I thought I'd at least have more time to spend with Remi now, but since midterms started it was hard to even get him on the phone. My FaceTime sessions with Taylor were the only thing keeping me from going insane.

"I can't believe they just killed you off," Taylor said.

"They wrote my character off. I'm still alive. I think." I stared up at the ceiling of my shadowy bedroom.

"What are you going to do now?"

"I auditioned for a backpack commercial yesterday."

"Wow."

***

(Lorin)

The vibe at The Faded Monkey was unexpectedly chill. The tiny place was packed with locals and indie scene artists. My stomach flipped as I scanned the room from the side of the stage. I could get lost in my music at home, in the safety of my room. I even enjoyed recording myself and listening to the play backs over and over until I had the sound just right. But this getting up in front of live people had me in a sweaty panic.

"Up next, we have a newbie here so be kind and welcome Lorin Martin." The room whistled me up on stage.

"Hello everyone," I breathed too close to the mic. The echo in my voice startled me and I stepped back. "My first song is called 'Dreamin.' I hope you like it."

I tried to ignore the chatter in the crowd as I began to play. By the end of the second song I must have been completely absorbed in my own voice, because the room was silent. When I was done, I took a seat at a table in the back to watch the next performer. A young girl, who didn't look much older than Kelci, joined me at the table.

"Hey." The girl slid a drink over to me. One side of her head was buzzed short showcasing a multitude of ear piercings, and the other inhabited a single pink streak.

"What's this?" I asked.

"It's a Manhattan."

I swirled the glass and took a sip.

"Did you write those songs?" the girl asked.

"Yeah."

"They're really good. I'd like you to meet some of my friends." She waved over a tall blond girl and a guy with sweepy hair. "This is Dax and Liz, and I'm Annie. Together we are Magenta."

"Cool. You're a band?"

"Sort of," Dax said. "I play keyboard. Liz plays bass, and Annie rocks the drums. But our lead vocalist and main songwriter bailed on us for a career as a flight attendant."

"Lame," Liz huffed rolling her eyes.

I knew where this was going, and I didn't like it. But they continued to work on me between songs for the next hour. While I worked on that Manhattan. 

"Anyway. We could use someone like you," Annie said.

Sip.

"I don't know. I'm really just kinda testing the waters, you know."

Sip.

"Do you have more songs like the ones you sang tonight?" Dax asked.

Sip.

"I have a few in the works, but I'm not much of a singer."

Sip.

"I beg to differ. Your sound is raw emotion," Dax said.

Sip. Sip.

"It's dope," Liz added.

"Thanks, but I don't think so." I could not imagine enduring the anxiety of performing in front of a crowded room night after night.

"We're not asking you to go on tour. It's just a couple of local gigs. You got something better to do?" Annie eyed me intensely. She was the kind of girl who, though barely five feet tall, could smell bullshit a mile away and was not afraid to call you out on it.

I swallowed the last of my drink for courage. "Fine."