Chapter 19: Not Goodbye (Kelci)

The warm spring afternoon turned chilly as the sun began to set. A voice boomed over the loud speaker introducing the players of Palisades High School. The smell of sweet kettle corn and nachos filled the air.

"Which one is he?" Taylor said, squinting at the setting sun. I had made many plans for us during Taylor's spring break visit. Attending one of Remi's games topped our must do list.

"Right there. Number 32," I said, pointing to Remi as he bounded down the first base line to join the rest of his team in their powder blue Pali jerseys.

"Nice butt," Taylor said. I elbowed her. "What? It's a compliment!" she added, rubbing her arm.

We chatted throughout the first three innings. Remi warmed up in the bull pen, waiting to relieve the pitcher who had just walked his fourth batter in a row. Pali was down 4-8. The crowd chanted for Remi to take the mound, but before they had a chance to make the switch the batter popped one up for the final out of the inning.

"I'd hoped to enjoy baseball more," I admitted.

"It's kinda boring if your man's not in the game," Taylor agreed.

"He's not my man." The dopey smile on my face said otherwise. 

"He invited you out here didn't he?"

"Yeah, but what's the point? I'm going to be back in Indiana in a week anyway." I sat up taller when Remi stepped up to the plate.

"Go, Remi!" Taylor shouted. I elbowed her again.

Remi hit a hard ground ball that whizzed past the third baseman.

"Whoohoo! Way to go Remi!" We cheered as he rounded first. My stomach flipped when he nodded in my direction with his heart-stopping half grin. Having not booked any jobs sucked, but leaving Remi behind was going to suck even more. The thought put me in a bad mood suddenly.

"How's Lorin?" Taylor asked.

"Fine," I said, keeping my eyes on the field, taking in the moment. The batter smashed the ball to left field, Remi shuffled a few steps waiting for it to be caught. The fielder stretched out as he approached the fence. The ball hit the top of the fence and fell onto the field. Remi bolted to second as the left fielder fired the ball to the second baseman. Sliding into the bag, Remi's foot hit the base just as the second baseman's glove tagged him. The umpire called him out, and the crowd went ballistic.

"Bull shit!" one guy yelled.

"Tie goes to the runner," a woman called out.

"Come on blue!" Remi's dad pleaded, throwing his hands in the air.

Remi dusted himself off and ran back to the dugout.

"What just happened?" Taylor asked.

"They called him out," I explained.

The crowd settled down, and the game went on.

"What did Adrian do to her?" Taylor asked, back on the subject of Lorin.

"Nothing. Trust me. It was all Lorin."

"How do you know?"

"Because she's Lorin," I said. "And he's been texting me to check on her."

"Do you think she acts out like that because your dad left? Like maybe it scarred her or something," Taylor suggested.

I ignored the question. "Let's go Remi!" I cheered as Remi took the mound at the top of the 5th inning. I watched the game intently, while my mind churned Taylor's words.

"He left me too, you know," I finally said after about ten minutes. Sometimes I blamed Lorin for him leaving. I had no memory to validate that feeling. It just seemed like her to push everyone away. 

"I know," Taylor said. She hooked her arm in mine. The move that said I got you friend. Going back home wouldn't be so bad with a friend like Taylor around.

After the game, mom texted and told me to invite Remi and his dad over for dinner. She said she had something she needed to talk to Gary about. When we drove up, mom waved emphatically from the porch.

"God, she's acting way weirder than usual," I said.

"Come here. Come here. Come here," mom called. "I've got her on the phone."

"Who?" I asked. Taylor, Remi, and Gary followed me up the steps.

"She's here," mom said into the phone, switching to speaker.

"Hey, Kelci."

"Cassidy?" My heart raced. The only reason my mom would make such a production over a call from my agent, is if she had some good news.

"Guess who I just got off the phone with?" Cassidy teased.

"Who?" My hands shook with anticipation, and the phone tumbled to the wood planks of the porch. Taylor picked it up quickly, holding it out for me to hear.

"Did you just drop me?" Cassidy asked.

"Who did you just talk to?" I begged.

"The producers of Jaded. They want you to play Miranda," Cassidy said.

"Are you serious?" I couldn't believe it. Taylor jumped on me, nearly knocking me to the ground. We both squealed.

"Yes. Filming starts in August," Cassidy said over the noise. "I'll email you with the details."

"Thanks Cassidy," I said before hanging up.

"That's great news." Gary patted me on the back.

"So that's why I needed to talk to you," mom told him.

"Extending the lease?" Gary asked.

"Sort of. We need to go back to Indiana for a bit, to get things situated for our extended stay out here. I was hoping you could hold this place for us until we come back," she explained.

"That shouldn't be a problem."

"Great. We can work out the details over dinner. I made my famous lasagna," mom said. "My favorite." Gary smiled patting his belly.

As everyone headed inside, Remi grabbed my arm, inviting me to stay on the porch with him.

"So, you're staying?" Remi asked.

"We're leaving. But we'll be back," I said. My throat dried up as Remi stepped closer.

"Promise?" A strand of sweaty hair fell into his eyes as he tilted his head toward me. He lifted his hands to my face. They smelled like leather, and I closed my eyes as I breathed it in.

When his lips touched mine, I knew I never wanted anything more in my entire life. That gritty, salty kiss would travel with me to Indiana and back.