Chapter 17: Buttons (Kelci)

I knew mom was up early because I had been listening to her pace the kitchen for the last three hours. She kept calling and leaving frantic messages on Lorin's phone. "I love you." "Let me know you're okay." "Don't do anything stupid." 

Apparently Adrian called mom around 5am saying they had a big fight and Lorin left with his wallet. He had tracked his credit cards and learned that she booked a flight to LAX. Though none of us had heard from her. Typical Lorin. 

"Want more coffee?" I asked, trying to distract mom from her search of the LAX arrival flight schedule that she had been scouring.

"Sure," she said, not even looking up from the laptop. The doorbell rang, and she jumped to her feet in relief.

"I was so worried," mom said, opening the door. Gary, the landlord, stood at the threshold.

"We tried to get out here first thing this morning, but I couldn't get this knuckle head out of bed," Gary said, motioning to his son shuffling up the steps.

"I'm sorry. I thought you were my daughter." Mom turned away from the door and wiped at her eyes. "Come in," she said.

"Is Kelci missing?" Remi asked. Mom did not answer, but instead turned her attention back to her non-responsive phone.

"I'm right here," I called from the kitchen where I had been hiding attempting to smooth down my tangled bed hair, and wipe the morning crust from my eyes. 

"We're here to fix the water heater," Gary explained.

"Great!" I said. "I mean it's fine for about two minutes, then freezing cold." Which hopefully explained why I was un-showered and braless under the t-shirt I had just slept in. 

Mom continued pacing and dialing her phone frantically.

"Is this a bad time?" Gary asked.

"It's fine." I nudged mom, trying to get her to take over so I could slink back to my room. No luck. 

"I believe the unit just needs a new coil. Shouldn't take too long, and then we'll be out of your hair," Gary said. He and his son made their way down the hall.

Mom listened to Lorin's generic voicemail greeting again. This time she hung up without leaving a message.

"Mom," I sighed handing her mom a fresh steaming cup of coffee. "It's a five-hour flight. She's not going answer right now."

"I know."

"What exactly happened?" I asked.

"I don't know. Adrian said she was upset and just left."

"She must have been pretty pissed if she stole his wallet and hopped a flight across the country. But then again, Lorin has been known to go off the deep end a time or two."

Mom cringed. "He said he pushed a button." I sensed she did not want to go into detail about what she suspected. 

***

I walked Remi and his dad out to the porch when they finished fixing the hot-water heater. The sun warmed the crisp SoCal morning. Remi hung back for a moment while his dad loaded their tools in the truck. He squinted at the sun that broke through the trees.

"No more two-minute showers." He grinned, combing his hair back with his fingers.

"Thank god. Last night I only got to shave one leg." Oh, god. Did I just say that out loud?  Remi laughed. The playful grin on his face made my heart beat faster.

"Is everything okay in there?" Remi asked nodding toward the open door. Through the opening, we could see mom pacing and talking on the phone with her hand on her head like she had a splitting headache.

"It will be," I said, and closed the door to allow mom some privacy.

"Garrett, let's go son!" Gary called from the truck.

"So, you're not the pool guy." I deduced reading the Remington Rentals logo on the door of the white Nissan Titan.

"I'm whatever Dad makes me," Remi shrugged. "We own all these properties along here. So, I help cut grass, clean pools, and make the occasional plumbing house call when I'm not in school." He stuffed his hands in the back pockets of his faded jeans.

"Cool." The moment hung in the air waiting for someone speak again.

"Garrett!" Gary called again.

"Coming!" Remi yelled over his shoulder. "We live at the top of the hill. Let me know if you need anything else." He turned on his heel and bounded down the steps. "Geez Dad, you're killin my game here." I heard him say as he climbed in the truck.

I backed my way into the house, only turning once the truck rounded the bend. I didn't know if it was his charm, wit, or smile, but something about Remi made my skin tingle. 

Mom dosed off on the couch, her phone still in hand. I covered her with the patchwork quilt that hung on the recliner. Then opened my MacBook, plugged my headphones in, and logged into my online class. My mind wondered as the woman in the video droned on about quadratic equations. If I didn't book something soon we would be going back home at the end of the month. I kinda missed school, and Taylor. But going home would mean no more auditions, and no more Remi.

I sent a Snapchat to Taylor that said "wyd." Taylor responded with a picture of herself in algebra class making a gag face and a caption that said, "ugh!" Guess algebra sucks no matter where you are.

Unable to focus, I slapped the computer closed and decided to try out the newly restored hot shower. I grabbed a fresh, warm towel from the drier and headed to the bathroom. As I undressed, the white tile counter buzzed. I picked up my phone, but the buzzing continued from the counter. Looking back near the sink, I smiled. I knew exactly who that Dodgers #32 phone case belonged to.