"I'm not sick?"

Isabella's POV

"Isabella? Did you come inside?" We broke our hug to see Mama standing in the doorway. She walked in with her usual reassuring smile and asked Les to leave. I was disappointed. I wanted to stay with him but I get it. I don't want him to get sick too. "So what's wrong? You look perfectly fine."

I explained everything to her and she laughed. Why was she laughing? I'm ill! She should just give me medicine and tell me to sleep!

"Isabella, you aren't sick," is all she said. It confused me. I'm not actually sick? What's wrong with me then? I'm really lost...

"I'm not sick?" I couldn't say anything else. I can't process what's happening.

"No, love. You're just having your first crush! You like Leslie don't you? And not in a best friend way like before." No! No! No! This can't be happening! He's my best friend! He'll never like me in any other way so why?

"No! How do I stop it?! This could ruin everything!" I almost screamed, completely panicked. How could I not be? I could lose my best friend!

"Isabella, calm down please. There is nothing wrong wit your feelings. You should talk to him though. He might feel the same. Even if he doesn't, he'll still care about you." She was so calm but her words were making me more anxious. I think she noticed because before I could reply she said "I'm not going to force you to do anything. You can stay here the night and tell Leslie that it was a 24 hour thing. Okay?" She reassured me with a smile and left me with my thoughts.

I had no idea what to do. All I knew was that I couldn't tell him. I fell asleep that night, with those thoughts creating a burning feeling in my chest and my eyes stinging with tears.

The first thing I saw when I woke up was Leslie. He had brought me breakfast and a cup of tea. It was waffles and fresh strawberries. He knew it was my favourite and made it specially because I'm "sick". It hurts but I decided that I'm not going to tell him.

"Good morning, Iz. Feelings better?" he asked with a slightly worried smile. How did I not notice it before? He's amazing. Mama was right, as always. I like him. I really like him.

"Lots better thanks. I guess I just slept it off," I said sleepily as I sat up. Once I was up he put the tray on my lap and lightly stroked my hair. My heart started beating so fast. Calm. All I have to do is calm down. He's just another person.

He's just another person.