Chapter 2 First Gifts

I look over at Anne my twin sister. She is staring at me. God, why do I have to wait to grow up?

'It's part of the life cycle, of course.'

Oh, so you're just deciding to talk to me?

'Yes.'

Well, what am I supposed to do?

'You could hang out with your twin.'

How am I supposed to do that? I'm a baby; babies can't talk.

'Now now, I told you I would give you plenty of gifts. Why don't you try speaking in your mind?'

Ugh...

Throughout the entire conversation with... God... *sigh* Anne and I have been staring at each other.

"Hi." I say in my mind hoping that I could actually use telepathy. Anne looked surprised at that so I'd guess that it worked.

"Uh... hi?" She says hesitantly.

"Don't worry we're just speaking to each other." I say trying to calm her down.

"Oh okay."

Silence. Neither of us knows what to say.

"So... how are you?" I say trying to break the awkward silence.

"I'm okay."

"I guess we're twins."

"Yeah, I guess so."

More silence.

"Well, its good to be your acquaintance." I say, desperately avoiding the silence.

"Its good to meet you too!" Anne says as her baby face makes a smile.

"Would you happen to know anything about this world or this place?"

"Nope, not a clue."

"Yeah, I didn't think so." I say surrendering.

Even more silence.

"Let's go on an adventure?" I say.

"To where?" She asks.

"Somewhere that's not here at least."

"First we need to get over the bars of this crib."

Hmm.

"Why don't we use each other to boost each other up and over." She says.

"Great idea! You go first."

"Why me?"

"It was your idea."

She mumbles something in her mind as she struggles to move to the bars. Remember we are literally newborn babies. Nobody should expect us to move anywhere fast. Eventually, she gets to the bars.

"Alright you climb on me, then I'll push you while you pull yourself up." I say.

"Alright!"

She climbs on top of me while I'm on my hands and knees. Once she is on top I attempt to lift myself up while she grabs the top and tries to pull herself over. I manage to push her up so she can easily get on top of the bars. God, was this strength you too.

'Maybe'

Ugh...

"Good job Jess!" Anne says.

"Jess?"

"Oh, sorry Jessica seemed too long so I shortened it a little. I hope you don't mind."

"It's fine I don't care."

"How are you going to get up here?" She says still hanging on the bars.

"I'll just climb." I say as I start to climb one of the bars like a rope and easily get on top of the bars.

"Wow! You're so amazing."

"It's not that big of a deal." I say.

From the top of the bars, the floor is about two feet down so we shouldn't get hurt on the way down.

"Ready to jump?" I ask.

"What do you mean jump?"

"We need to get down somehow."

"Oh yeah, I guess you're right. You go first this time."

"Whatever." I say as I, well I wouldn't say jump it was more like a fall and tumble. "Now it's your turn."

"Okay but you better catch me."

"I might get crushed if I try."

She does the same thing I did but instead on top of me.

"That hurt you know." I say slightly in pain.

"Sorry Jess."

"Well let's get the door next."

"Easier said than done."

I forgot. I'm special. I knew how to walk like a normal person would back before I died but now I'm not sure these little legs could carry my weight. I remember that normal babies crawl. I try and succeed. As I do this Anne is having trouble grasping how to do anything other than breath.

"Try this." I tell her as I demonstrate crawling.

"Like this?" She gets it immediately.

"Exactly, now let's get out of this room."