Chapter 22 Adventurers

"You don't know what an adventurer is?" The King asks.

"I really don't."

"An adventurer is someone who goes on quests to help out the kingdom. Those question can take a variety of shapes."

"Sounds boring." I say.

"I've heard it's rather fun."

"Come on, we should join." Anne says.

"Sure. Let's at least look around the kingdom first."

"Please, have my guards escort you."

"I think we'll be fine."

"The thing is, I can't have a dragon just wandering around my kingdom."

"Well if that's the problem..." I change myself to human form, "Is that better?" He seems surprised.

"Would you like to return home?" I ask my parents.

"Yes, if you would." Mother says. I open a portal back to the house and both her and father step through. "Be safe." She says.

"Alright, shall we go then?" I ask Anne.

"We're off." She says. She follows me out the castle, the same way we came in. Then, we step outside the walls of the pit of the avocado.

"Where should we go?" Anne asks.

"Let's eat lunch first." I say. We walk around for a while before we find a cafe. After we eat lunch we pay with one of the royal coins. We end up getting 999 platinum coins, 999 gold coins, and 950 silver coins back. Those coins are really valuable.

We continue to wander around the city. "Hey Jess?" Anne suddenly initiates a conversation.

"Yeah?"

"Why didn't you tell Lady Kate your name?"

"Well, if I had told her my name, they would all know that I was the daughter of the nobles in Xerneas. That would mean Xerneas owns a powerful dragon. That could start tension between the continents."

"I understand." She says.

We eventually stumble upon a building with a sign that says Adventurer's guild. It's not a fairly big building. "I definitely thought it would be bigger. Do you really want to join?" I ask Anne.

"Of course I do."

"Alright." I say as step through the door. Inside I see ten people at what seems to be a bar on the left side of the room. On the right are three bulletin boards with an impressive amount of papers stuck to them. On the other side of the room are receptionist desks and stairs to a second floor on each of the far corners. Anne and I walk towards the desks.

"Hello! Would you like to make a request or would you like to join." One of the receptionists says. She looks like she is in her late twenties and has brown hair.

"We'd like to join please!" Anne tells her. Of course, the receptionist looks slightly surprised by the telepathy.

"It costs 100 gold coins to join." She says. I give her the money.

"Alright then, please come with me." She says. We follow her to a door next to the stairs in the corner of the room and enter. Inside is an orb like the one we used in the academy.

"Please, place your hand on this orb." Anne complies and her four orbs glow again. "I see, impressive." The receptionist writes something down on a piece of paper.

"With those orbs you will receive a level of five." She says.

"Excuse me, what does that mean?" I ask.

"Oh, let me explain. Adventurers and monster are shown with levels. The higher the levels, the more powerful the being."

"How do you find the levels?" Anne asks.

"It all depends on the magic they can use. One common magic type has a worth of one. A rare magic type is two and legendary is three. Level one has a worth of 0-1, two has 2-3, three has 4-5, four has 6-8, five has 9-11, six has 12-14, seven has 15-17, eight has 18-20, nine has 21-23, and ten has 24 and up. However, most living beings have a level below four."

"Wait, how can something have more than the twelve magic types?" I ask.

"Well there are other things that can change the level of someone."

"Please, place your hand on the orb." She says. I comply and the receptionist is immediately stunned.

"I...How...Your..." She can't speak.

"It's okay, I know."

She writes again on the piece of paper. "I need to meet with someone, please rest near the cafe."

"You mean the bar?" I ask.

"What is a bar? That is a cafe." She says and leaves us inside the room.

"Well, I think that went well." I say.

"Let's wait for the receptionist out there." Anne leaves the room and I follow. We sit at one of the tables near the 'cafe'.

"Hey, what did you do to make Olivia so worked up?" Someone asks from behind me. I look over to see a very muscular bald man.

"Hey Hercules, all we did was put our hands on the orb back there." I say. He looks a little proud of himself since I called him that.

"You two must be very strange kids if you did that to her."

"I guess you could say that." I say.

"I'm sorry for making you two wait, please come with me, you must meet with someone." The person called Olivia says.

"Sure."