Woo

Jungkook kept his hand on the small of Taehyung’s back, letting him know that he was there and that he wasn’t going to let the older go.

They were in an unfamiliar office, and Taehyung’s eyes flitted around with distrust, not knowing how to deal with everything around him.

Jungkook walked them over to the receptionist, smiling at the woman sitting behind the desk. “Hello! How can I help you?”

“I’m here for an eleven o’clock appointment?”

The woman nodded and turned to the computer. “Jeon Jungkook and Kim Taehyung?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“I’ll let the doctor know you’re here, just take a seat and he’ll be with you shortly. Jungkook smiled and nodded, turning and leading Taehyung to the seating area.

Only a few moments later, a man came out, dressed professionally. He had a kind smile on his face as he looked at the two. “Jeon, I haven’t seen you in awhile.”

“It has been awhile, Hyung.” Jungkook smiled.

“And this is?”

“Taehyung. Kim Taehyung.” The man’s face morphed into one of surprise.

“Oh my. I see, come along then.” He led them to the back and into a room with a desk and some chairs. All the windows were open with sunlight streaming in, but Taehyung was stiff as can be. “I’m Woo Hil-Seok. Dr. Woo if you will. Or Hyung, if you’re more comfortable with that. I take it this appointment is for the both of you?”

“Just for Taehyung, actually.” Jungkook said.

“Jeon, you know that I’ll have to—“

“Today is just to familiarize ourselves.” Jungkook offered. He turned to Taehyung. “There have been some...revelations that have come forth, and I feel that today we should just familiarize with each other, you two, to be exact. I am just here because he does not wish to be alone.”

“Is that correct, Mr. Kim?” Taehyung nodded timidly. “Then please, take a seat.” Woo seated himself across from the pair. “Let’s start out easy. What’s your favorite color?”

“...” Taehyung looked down at his hands. He bit his bottom lip and took a few short breaths.

“Mine is blue.” Woo continued on seamlessly, smiling effortlessly. “Pale blues are even better, matches the sky. Cliche, I know, but they can’t be a cliche without some truth behind them.”

“P-purple.” Taehyung said quietly.

“Any reason why?”

Taehyung shrugged. Woo nodded, refraining from taking any notes. Usually he would, but he sensed that if he were to, Taehyung would feel even more uncomfortable, like he was being studied, when that wasn’t the purpose at all.

“And how long have you known Jungkook?”

“S-since high school…”

“And what was your relationship like?”

“H-he was an underclassmen...h-he often got bullied a-and I would tell them to go away…” Taehyung whispered.

Woo nodded. “I was often bullied in high school.” The therapist offered. Taehyung paused, and took a quick glance upwards at the man. “Yeah, it’s true, weird, huh?” Woo smiled, gesturing to his six foot self. “I used to be the smallest one in my grade, until junior year hit and I sprouted like a weed. Kids left me alone after that. But before, I was picked on by upperclassmen everyday just for liking to read.”

Taehyung nodded. “So, do you have any hobbies, anything you like to do?” Woo asked.

Taehyung shook his head. “No? I personally like to draw, it’s something I’ve always found to be quite relaxing. Sitting down and taking your time on a piece. Although you are your worst critic. I don’t think I’ll ever be happy with a drawing I’ve made.”

Woo smiled and when he saw Taehyung giving a shy smile. “My daughters like to tell me that I should sell some of my artwork, I’m so good, but I always tell them no. It’s something personal for me. My wife seems to side with my daughters, I have a house full of girls, but I stay strong with my decision. It makes it more special, knowing only a certain number of people are able to see it.”

Taehyung nodded. Woo sighed silently. “So, Taehyung, I know that today was just to familiarize with each other, but I would like to talk about why you are here as well. You don’t have to answer anything you don’t want to, but I’m just going to ask you some questions, okay?”

Taehyung nodded.

“Trauma and depression are the number one reason people attend therapy. Based off of my observations, I would say trauma is a more correct diagnosis. Can you tell me a little bit about it?”

Taehyung shook his head. “That’s perfectly fine. But it is trauma?” Taehyung hesitantly nodded. “Good. And you have someone that can support you and be there for you? It is important to be surrounded by those who love you and support you.” Taehyung glanced at Jungkook, before sliding his eyes up to meet Woo’s for the first time the entire session. He nodded slowly.

“That’s a start.” Woo smiled kindly at him once again. “It’s important to know that you are loved, Taehyung, and that there are people there for you when you need them. Okay?”

“O-Okay.”