{3} It's The Truth

I don't really know when, or how, it begun.

Probably when we were little. The thing is, I was used to your sparkling eyes. Your stunning smile. Your happy laughter. Ah, the feeling of first love.

It's the truth— I loved you.

You didn't love me, though.

"Welcome to your tape, Lynx Truth"

~

"What?"

Kinkajou quickly shushed her, munching on her carrot sticks. She was a strict vegetarian: she refused to eat meat whatsoever and always packed lunch from home, which contained a variety of things. Today her lunch was stuffed with peanut butter sandwiches, small carrot sticks, chips, grapes, and, of course, candy.

Her eyes were filled with alarm. "Shhhh! Moon, this is serious stuff. You can't act like this!" She hissed. It startled Moon. She was usually the one to shush Kinkajou, not the other way around. "In the name of holy mangoes are you so loud?!"

"Uh, s-sorry?" Moon stammered. She fidgeted with her lunchbox, not touching her food at all. Her gaze swept over the lunch table: Turtle Beach, a boy with dyed green hair, was deep in a conversation with an older girl named Peril. He usually read or wrote rough drafts of stories, and, at the rarest moments, have Kinkajou a smile, leaving her excited and hyper until the end of the day. Qibli Sand was watching a video with Umber, shrieking and laughing excitedly, and, finally, one empty seat between her and Qibli.

It will stay empty forever, and the handsome, cold boy that used to sit there everyday was never going to sit there again. He would never flash her that small smile, and he would never give her the cute, playful frown whenever she cracked a lame joke.

There are thirteen reasons why I committed suicide.

"You, Moonwatcher Everfrost, are in one of the thirteen tapes." Kinkajou took a deep breath, pressing her lips together like something was bothering her. It wasn't like her at all. "You listen to all thirteen then pass it to the next person."

You are one of them.

Moon gulped. "I-I don't know why I'm in there. What could I possible have done? I loved him!" She covered her face with her hands, barely holding back a sob. "This can't be possible."

Kinkajou placed a hand on Moon's arm, giving her a gentle, understanding smile. Her eyes were full of sadness and regret. "Press play, Moon, and you'll know why. Sometimes there are thirteen sides to every story— but sometimes it's a misunderstanding. And a misunderstanding might have ended his life."

"I miss him," she said, choking. She inhaled deeply, shaking her head. She didn't get what Kinkajou was saying. Or did she not want to get it? "I...I wish I could have done something."

"We all do." Kinkajou stared down at her lunch sadly. She pushed it away, even when it contained her favorite food ever: lollipops. She crossed her arms, looking angry. "Trust me, I do, too." Then she got a dull, glassy look in her eyes, and she sighed as she stood up. "Well, see you, Moon. It was nice talking with you. See you in some classroom in some school..."

Moon stopped everything in midair, shocked."W-what? You can't leave me here, Kink! I have so many things to ask you!"

Kinkajou shook her head. "I don't think talking about the tapes in public is a good idea. It's dangerous work, all this."

Moon didn't understand. She didn't understand at all. She stood up, turning a blind ear to the screech from the chair. She needed an explanation. Deserved an explanation. "You have to tell me, though! What tape am I on? Please, Kink!" She begged. Tears were filling up her eyes, ready to tip at any moment. It made her feel weak. Like her life was incomplete.