{5} Evil

I desperately needed a friend.

Sure, I could have picked anybody I wanted. I mean, girls liked me, or so I hear. I was fairly rich. I was somewhat socialized. The odds were, surprisingly, in my favor.

But I was picky, I guess. I wanted a real friend. A good friend that wouldn't turn from me. Someone that wouldn't betray me. someone I could trust. Someone that I could pour out my everything, and I wouldn't be judged.

It turns out: good can hide bad inside. So deep that it's only a whisper. So small it's unnoticeable. So tiny that it's less than a secret.

Evil.

Sometimes all it takes to end I all, my friends...is a blade

"Welcome to your tape, Umber Mud"

~

"I feel like we need to talk."

Secretkeeper eyed Moon, pressing her lips together into a straight line. Her hair was on a tight bun, and her usually merry face was pale and tired after a long day of work.

Moon shifted uncomfortably. "What is it, Mom?" Please make it quick. Her fingers were itching to hear the next tapes. "I have homework to do..."

It wasn't exactly a lie; they probably did have homework, but Moon didn't pay attention in classes anymore. Or, more precisely,  couldn't. Not since she received the tapes.

"You have been acting extremely strange lately," her mother said quietly, sighing. Her eyebrows were furrowed. "Is it what I think it is, Moon? Please don't lie to me, sweetheart. But I do think I have an idea what's wrong, though."

Moon felt her eyes widen. She knows. She knows everything. She's going to take the tapes away. She's going to take away everything. She knows. Three moons, she knows. "What are you talking about, Mom?" She tried to sound curious and lighthearted.

Her mother, however, didn't seem reassured. "You know exactly what I'm talking about, Moonwatcher Everfrost. Tell me. What's going on?"

Moon felt her pulse quicken. What would she say when Moon told her? Maybe her mother would think she needed mental therapy. Maybe she would have to throw the tapes into the Dumpster. "Nothing," she said a bit quickly. Too quickly. She saw her mother's eyebrow raise.

Secretkeeper sighed, and, to Moon's great surprise, burst into tears. "I-I know you've been thinking about your dad," she sobbed until Moon's shoulder. She tugged Moon closer and closer like she couldn't get her daughter safe enough. "I'm so sorry the divorce happened. I know it's having a bad impact on you, sweetheart, but we can go through this, I p-promise."

"W-what?" Morrowseer, her father, and her mother had divorced some time now. It didn't bother Moon much. All Morrowseer did was sometimes hit her when she got bad grades, or beat her mother when she didn't have any money. He and his friends drank and smoked around their small apartment, and sometimes camped in her room, ruining her small quiet paradise. It made her angry, and to be honest she was a little relieved when they decided to split up and he didn't say any complains when Secretkeeper took Moon in without his permission.

"Isn't that why you're so quiet those days?" Secretkeeper said, stroking Moon's dark black hair. "But he was a bad man, Moon, and I didn't want him to hurt you—"

Too late. He already did.

Crash.

"Perhaps this will teach you something..." he slowly came to her, a broken piece of glass in his fingertips. His face was shadowed, and she closed her eyes tightly shut. She was trembling like crazy.