{18} Flaws and Strengths

When she woke up, it was night.

Someone was watching her. With a pair of very cold blue eyes.

This was her first thought:

Tundra.

But after a moment, she realized that it was Winter's mother after all.

It was Winter himself.

~

Her mind going off at once, she scrambled to a sitting position. "Winter?"

"That's my name, I think." Winter glanced around the room. "Moon, wasn't it?"

Yes. But it doesn't feel right. You've gone back to your little shell again. Blocking out everyone. Suffering in silence. "How did you get in?" She asked breathlessly, trying to collect her thoughts. She was wide awake now. Winter pointed to the open window, shrugging.

"The window. It was unlocked," he said confusedly, as if it was obvious.

He stared at her damaged hand, wrapped in bandages. But when he caught her looking at him, his eyes quickly turned away.

"You climbed the tree next to my window?" Moon said, impressed.

"Yes." Winter's voice was cold,
"And I didn't think you climbed trees." Moon raised an eyebrow.

"Me neither."

"Why did you come here? It is called trespassing to come into an individual's property uninvited, if you didn't know." Moon joked, sitting up.

Winter shrugged again, brushing off Moon's attempt at humor. "But then, I pretty much came back from the dead. So why not?"

His logic was questionable, but she let it go. Instead, she called his name. "Winter."

His blue eyes met her jade green ones. Moon turned serious, slightly frowning. "You didn't answer my first question. Why did you come here?"

Winter closed the window, not answering her. When he turned to look at her again, his hair was wild from the unmerciful wind. Untamed.

She was finding so many different sides of him in a day. She didn't think it was possible for a person to have so many sides of personality.

But Winter seemed to surprise her with everything, everywhere.

The one she met, the cold and haughty. The one she fell in love with, the soft and warm. The one that broke her heart, the confused and broken.

And finally, the one she was meeting now: the wild and untamed. Listening to no one.

"Well, first, to apologize." Winter stared at her desk with a new, sudden interest, not meeting her eyes. "For hurting your...hand. I get those little tantrums sometimes. So stupid, really. Just flashbacks, nightmares...things to remind me of the past..."

"Perhaps you have to let them go," Moon said. I want to help you, Winter. Just pour out your problems to me...I can help you, Winter....

"I have tried, so many times. I can't. They'll always be with me and I can't control myself and I— I turn violent, like today morning." His body was shaking all over again.

What have I done to him? Left him with horrible nightmares, left a mark in his brain, so he can never forget it?

"Winter..."

"No, forgive me. I shouldn't bother you with my problems." Winter composed himself. "I just wanted to apologize, that's all. You seemed like you wanted to help me, and that was a sullen way to repay your kindness."

Back into the shell again. "Winter, I'm your friend."

Girlfriend. Enemy. Lover. Helper. Friend.

It will have to do. For now. Did she want more, though? Did she really? Did they really suit each other after everything that happened? After they left each other so hurt and broken?

Winter seemed surprised. "But you're in the tapes. How are you my friend if you..."

Moon smiled sadly. "People can change, Winter." I changed. You changed. Everyone else changed.

"I wish nobody ever changed." Winter sighed. "It's so disappointing, to know people changed and doesn't need you anymore. To know nothing is forever."

Moon patted her bed. Winter sat down, although unsure. "Although there will always be someone that hates you, there will always be someone out there that will love you. When one door closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not—"

"—see the one which has been opened for us," Winter finished. "Helen Keller."

"See? You're smart, you're kind, you're everything a person can hope for." Moon smiled. "You just have to stop doubting yourself. You're good the way you are, Winter. Flaws make us who we are. They shape us. Instead of avoiding them and pushing them away, we must embrace them and shape them into our greatest strengths."

"But how do you know for sure?"

"Winter, sometimes, you just have to dive into it. Into the unknown."

His eyes found hers. So broken, so untamed, so unsure...

So irresistible...

She smiled reassuringly. It would take a long time to heal him. To make him trust her again. To bring back the warm, sweet Winter.

But it's okay.

Her heart was pounding faster and faster. In excitement? Joy?

And they stayed there in silence, just reassuring each other that everything would be okay.

Blue eyes against jade green.

So damaged, so hurt, so broken.

The one halves of their heart missing. Abused. Injured from their battle with the world.

We can make each other whole again.

We can heal each other.

Everything finally felt right.

~

Very sloppy chapter sadly :') I hope you guys like it! Are you excited for Frozen 2? I amMmm!!!

I made a Winterwatcher army btw 😂