{24} Emergency

Moon

"You did this?" She whispered.

Darkstalker laughed. "Well, of course. The years of revenge I was planning for, well, this is it."

Moon shivered. "Why, Darkstalker?"

Darkstalker sighed. "Moon. My dear, sweet Moon. This is who I am. This is what the world has made me."

Moon shook her head. "It doesn't give you an excuse to hurt people."

"But they're the ones that hurt me." He nodded to something. When Moon turned, she saw Morrowseer.

His eyes, so full of hate and pain. The hands that once scared her so much was tied against his back. The mouth that had lured her in countless times was taped shut.

For a moment, she saw him as he truly was:  broken person. A broken person that the world had turned into a monster.

"Morrowseer?" She whispered.

Darkstalker was staring at her with cold, merciless eyes. He seemed disappointed in her reaction.

He stepped closer to her, whispering in her ear: "I could kill him right now."

She narrowed her eyes and didn't move. Whatever Darkstalker wanted, she would not give it to him. "You could."

She could see him grinning at the corner of her eye. Like a childish boy excited because he got his Christmas present early.

"But I won't." Darkstalker crossed his arms. "You see, I really, really like you. I always have. Why else would I rescue you from this little monster?" He pointed a finger at Morrowseer. "But most of all, I rescued you from yourself. I rescued you from your weakness and made you your fullest."

She raised an eyebrow. "My fullest? Killing people, feeding you information, is that my fullest?"

Darkstalker shook his head. "You don't get the point. Your fullest is next to me."

"I hated working for you. I hated this. I hated doing everything you told me to." Moon clenched her fists.

"Really? But you have found that once you make a mistake, it comes back to you. Haven't you? Because you can't escape from who you are."

She kept staring at Morrowseer and his torn face. "What do you want me to do? What's done is done." She thought of Winter, and how this was a mess, and how he was in danger. She felt herself tearing up. She had been holding  herself together for so long, she was becoming insane.

Hot tears flowed from her eyes. I have to kill Darkstalker. I have to protect Winter. I have to protect my friends.

Darkstalker gave her a gentle look and wiped her tears away. She hated his touch. She hated that he was a part of her life. She hated that she felt pity for him, despite everything he had done. She hated that she couldn't bring herself to kill him.

"Moon," Darkstalker said, giving her a gun. She stared at it, dumbfounded. "I know what you're going through. I know what it's like."

He leaned down and tilted her head, making her face Morrowseer. "Kill him," he whispered.

She stared at Morrowseer. Just looking at him brought back memories. The sneer, the knife, how sometimes she swore to get revenge...

Come here, daughter...

His traps, his lies. If anybody deserved to die, it was him. How he abused Secretkeeper. How he brought a woman home and locked the door and didn't come out until the morning.