Love Someone

Flashback:

"When will you just leave me the hell alone?" Jennie asks in irritation as she once again threw away a rose that I had given her. I smile softly,

"When you love someone."

There she stood.

Smiling her gummy smile with her feline eyes squinting in delight as she laughed loudly with her friends near her locker. But opening her locker she scrunches her delicate face in annoyance seeing another rose. I felt a pang in my heart as she scoffed and rolled her eyes before throwing it to the ground and walking away with her friends trailing behind.

"Damn Manoban, that's the, what? 100th Time she rejected your gift? When will you give up and stop hurting yourself?" Jisoo asks with a sad expression etched into her face. I smile sadly to myself as I watched her leave the hallway,

"When she loves someone else." I reply before shutting my locker and draping my arm over Jisoos shoulder and leading her towards our classroom.

No matter how many times I get rejected, I don't think I'll ever love someone the way I loved Jennie, my ex best friend.

You see, Jennie and I grew up as neighbors and were in separable since I could remember. She was someone I could always rely on and I was someone who she could always count on. That was until I confessed my feelings that I had for her in middle school.

She didn't say a word.

She just stood up and walked away from me.

She avoided me.

And when high school started she became cold and distant. It was as if we had never met before. But, that never stopped me from courting her.

Did I regret confessing?

In a way, no.

Why keep something a secret when you know it would only just consume your very existent?

I write her letters, she rips them apart.

I give her roses, she throws them to the floor.

I buy her lunch, she pushes it to the side.

I give her my heart, she avoids it at all cost.

So I ask myself, when is it time to say, enough  is enough and it is time to move on?

I made a deal with myself. The moment Jennie gives her heart to someone, who would be known as the luckiest person in the world, I will let her go and be free from this pain.

.............

"Did you hear? Jennie and Hanbin are dating!"

"I heard Jennie's dating the quarterback!"

"Jennie's so lucky!"

No, Hanbin is the lucky one.

I look down at my tray of food and continued to pick at it as the new gossip arises in the cafeteria. Every word that was spoken, regarding Jennie's new love life, was increasing the pinching in my chest.

I guess it's time.

I look up and noticed Jisoo rushing towards me with a worried expression. She slams her tray down and quickly grabs my hand in hers.

"Are you okay?" She asks as she scans the pain in my dull eyes. I guess she's heard the news.

I squeeze her hand and look over to the cafeteria doors that revealed Jennie gracefully walking in with a small smile. She sits on the table for moment and begins to talk with her friends. Usually, I would be handing her her tray of food at this very moment.