Chapter 3

Riley's POV

I closed the door behind me the next day, moving to take my shoes off. "Where were you?" I heard Eldon's voice say.
"I lost track of time. I ran a little late." I replied, a sigh behind my words as I turned to face him.
"It's 6:18. You said you'd be home at 6." Eldon said. He stood watching me, his arms crossed over his chest.
"It's only 18 minutes Eldon." I told him, walking into the kitchen.
"18 minutes is a big deal!" Eldon exclaimed angrily, following me.
"Eldon leave her alone!" Emily snapped from where she stood stirring a pot on the stove. "When was the last time you came home on time?" She reminded him. He sighed, knowing she was right and he'd lost this one. Thank god for that, I didn't exactly want to admit to Eldon I'd been with James. Or that I'd been late because he couldn't keep his hands off me. "Hungry?" Emily asked me, smiling.
"Yep." I lied, sitting at the kitchen island. To be honest, I'm never usually hungry when I leave James's house, for many different reasons. Today they were more R-rated. Of course I'd never tell Emily or Eldon about that. "What're you making?" I asked, looking at the pot on the stove.
"Chicken fried rice. Probably not as good as you can make it, but I tried." Emily replied.
"I'm sure it'll be great." I stated. I was definitely the cook of the family. I made dinner most nights because everyone thought I was better than them. James liked my cooking too. He was trying to convince me to go to culinary school if dance doesn't work out.
"It'll be ready in 15 minutes." Emily told us. I nodded.
"When are mom and dad home?" I asked, not sure of when they said they'd be home next.
"3 days. They're just finishing up reviewing the London section. They'll only be home for about 2 days before they take off to Japan to look into starting up there though." Eldon answered. Our parents owned a pretty big tech company. They deal with tech support and making new electronic inventions and such. It was kinda expected that the three of us would work for the company one day, even though I had no interest in it. But I was supposed to be the good girl, the one who always listened to her parents and never did anything bad, so of course I never told anyone about it, except for James because I tell him everything.
"I see." I nodded. I glanced down as we sat in silence, just barely able to see the inflamed hickey James left on my chest half an hour ago. I pulled my shirt up, trying to cover the hickey and not have my siblings notice. Damn this low cut shirt! Maybe I should just wear turtlenecks around everyone but James.
"Miss Kate's choosing the Nationals duet tomorrow." Emily said, trying to make conversation.
"I'm sure you and Hunter are at the top of her list." I told her, smiling. I knew Emily really wanted this duet, she kept talking about how amazing it would be for her and her boyfriend to get to perform together at Nationals. Their audition had been great so I'm sure they'll get it.
"What about me?" Eldon asked, sounding offended.
"You and Michelle were great too. I think Emily wants it more though." I chuckled, all of us knowing this was true.
"I'm surprised Kate didn't just have everyone audition for duets to be honest, it was only you and James who didn't." Emily commented.
"Kate knows Riley and James would never do a duet together. I wouldn't allow it. We all know how James is and Riley doesn't need to get caught up with him." Eldon stated sternly, causing Emily to roll her eyes.
"Just because they dance together doesn't mean they'll end up sleeping together." She responded. "Have some faith in her." I shifted awkwardly in my seat due to the fact that James and I had slept together less than an hour ago. "Dinner." Emily announced, changing the subject. I was grateful to move on from the subject of James and I, and immediately jumped up to grab some food, even though I wasn't hungry. We sat at the table together, making small talk and laughing about things while we ate. In the back of my mind, I could hear a little voice saying 'this is why James and I are a secret. I'd never want to mess up my relationship with my siblings.'