Chapter 4

James's POV

"I've chosen the duet." Kate announced, gaining everyone's attention. Everyone moved in closer, waiting to hear whether they were chosen or not. Riley and I were the only ones not to swarm around Kate. We sort of hung back, listening half heartedly. We were the only ones who didn't audition, and although I wish I had because dancing with Riley at Nationals would be amazing, I know that we couldn't. It would raise too much suspicion if we chose each other as duet partners, and I know Riley doesn't want anyone to know about us. I inconspicuously made my way closer to her, before I put my hand on her back, under her top, my fingers rubbing her spine. She bit her lip, trying to act unaffected so no one would notice my hand up her shirt. I moved my hand higher, fiddling with the clasp of her bra. Normally these actions would cause at least a quiet moan, but right now I was doing them more in a comforting way than a sexual one. Riley exhaled, listening to Kate explain how hard the choice was, blah blah blah, etc.
"Costume closet after rehearsal?" Riley asked under her breath, never moving her eyes from Kate. I tried to conceal the smirk on my face. Screwing Riley 3 days in a row? Hell yeah, sign me up.
"Sure." I answered, moving my hand out from under her shirt and giving her butt a squeeze, before dropping it at my side.
"While all of you who auditioned were fantastic, I wanted to make sure the styles of the dancers complimented each other perfectly. I know I held auditions, and all the dances I saw were absolutely incredible, I could see you all put a lot of work into them. I also took input from watching you dance during regular rehearsal as well. I made the decision that the 2 who didn't audition would ultimately compliment each other perfectly and make the best duet. Our Nationals duet will be James and Riley." Kate said. Riley's mouth fell open in shock as I felt my eyes widened. All of A troupe turned, as shocked as we were to hear we'd been given the duet. "Now I'll let the rest of you go for today while I work with them. I'll see you tomorrow." Kate added. Is this some kind of prank? We're the only 2 who didn't audition for the soul purpose that we didn't want everyone becoming suspicious of us dancing together, yet we got the duet and are now dancing together? We stood silently as the rest of A troupe slowly packed up and left, all of them still clearly shocked. Eldon sent me a warning look that said 'you better not try anything' before he left. Riley was watching Emily pack up and leave, guilt evident in her face. I know Emily had really wanted this. As she swung her bag over her shoulder and walked out, Kate addressed us again, now that it was just the 3 of us. "Ready to get started?" She asked. Riley and I looked at each other, before at Kate.
"Miss Kate this isn't very fair. We didn't even audition." She said, obviously feeling bad for taking the spot from everyone who did audition. "Can't we give the duet to someone else?" She questioned.
"Riley's right. Everyone worked really hard on those dances." I told her.
"You two worked hard on yours as well." Kate responded.
"I'm sorry?" I inquired.
"I saw you in studio B the other day working on a duet. It had far more chemistry than any other duet I saw." Kate replied.

Riley's POV

I felt panicked at Miss Kate's words. Does she know about us?! Is she going to tell people?! "I'm not quite sure how 2 people who barely talk could have more chemistry than 2 relationships, but it's not my place to ask questions. So long as these 2 people aren't doing anything they aren't supposed to." Miss Kate said sternly, crossing her arms over her chest as she stared at us with a hard expression.
Shit.