Chapter 13

James's POV

"Eldon! You didn't tell me you'd be home for dinner! Let alone be bringing friends!" His mom scolded as he, Hunter and I walked in the door.
"Oh, I'm sorry Tanya, we can leave." I replied, not wanting to intrude.
"No no stay." She told me, before turning to Eldon. "You're lucky I made extra!" She snapped, walking back into the kitchen. "And you boys better hurry up! It's already on the table!" She added as she disappeared. We removed our shoes, heading into the kitchen. Emily looked up, noticing her boyfriend.
"Hunter!" She said happily, standing up and giving him a hug.
"The food isn't getting any warmer." Tanya reminded us, encouraging us to sit at the table. "Thomas! Riley! Dinner!" She called, sticking her head into the living room. Seeing Riley was going to be awkward, I knew that coming over here, but at least I'd get to see her. She wasn't at the last 2 dance rehearsals, and we've had a few days off for midterm exams, so I haven't seen her in over a week. And I miss seeing her. I could hear her voice as she came closer to the kitchen. She was talking with her father. I wasn't sure what about though.
"Tanya, Nathan was telling me about this wonderful program at the University of Toronto. He said his brother is in it right now. It's fascinating." Thomas, Eldon's father, said as he entered the kitchen with Riley and a guy I didn't recognize. He noticed his son as well as Hunter and I, and his focus changed. "Hello boys." He smiled at us all. Hunter and Eldon responded with a 'hi', but I was too distracted. I was busy staring at Riley with him. He had his arm around her waist and was holding her close to him. I could see Riley's gaze was fixed on me as well. She licked her lips, looking uncomfortable.
"Boys this is Nathan, Riley's boyfriend." Tanya announced as she sat at the table. Again, Eldon and Hunter greeted him. Again, I stayed silent.
"Let's sit down." Riley told her 'boyfriend', guiding him to an empty spot where they could sit beside each other, far away from me. Thomas took a seat as well and everyone started talking and dishing up. I grabbed food silently, finding it hard to eat. I didn't interact with anyone at the table. How can you talk when your heart has been ripped out of your chest? I couldn't stop staring at her with him. Everyone was asking questions, getting to know him. No one noticed my silence. His light brown hair was styled to look like a model's haircut. He had bright blue eyes. His teeth were sparkling white. He wasn't too tanned, but wasn't pale either. He honestly looked like he could've come out of a magazine. And to top it all off, he told jokes, he shared stories about his family, he talked about volunteering at the animal shelter, the hospital and a retirement home, he complimented Riley's mom, he talked business with her father, he discussed school and dance with Emily, Eldon and Hunter, even though he doesn't dance, and every time he spoke about Riley, he looked over at her like she was the best thing in the world. And he wasn't wrong. Riley is the best thing to have ever graced the earth, but watching him look at her that way infuriated me. That should be me. I should be where he is now. Riley should be mine. But I'm not where he is and she isn't mine. Because I let that go. I let her go. I let him have her.