Chapter 7

Riley's POV

"I've decided that I'm not giving your duet away." Miss Kate told James and I as we sat in her office the next day.
"What? Why?" I asked, confused. I thought we had all agreed it wasn't fair for James and I to have the duet when we didn't even audition.
"We're so close to Nationals, and rethinking it I still can't find any partners who have as much chemistry as you two, which I still don't understand. I'm just trying to do what's best for the team so that we have the best shot at winning Nationals, don't you want that?" She inquired. James and I shared a glance.
"We just don't think it's a good idea." He stated.
"Why? Because people might find out you're sleeping together?" Miss Kate questioned. I tensed up at Kate mentioning how she knows we have sex. You see, your dance teacher reminding you she knows you're literally screwing around is weird.
"We're not the only ones." I tried to defend us. "Emily and Hunter are too." Both James and Kate look surprised, but neither commented on their surprise.
"I'm sure they've had a conversation and they are ready for the consequences that may occur." Miss Kate replied.
"How do you know we aren't?" James questioned. What's so special about Emily and Hunter? Why do James and I have to put up with Miss Kate's lecture?
"It's different with them." Miss Kate replied.
"How?" James asked her.
"Because they're dating. Because if they have a child they could get married and raise it. Because they know they love each other and will stick by each other. Where's your commitment? How do you know you'll stick together?" She inquired, an eyebrow raised and this no nonsense look on her face. I felt myself ready to explode at this point. How come Emily and Eldon are perfect and I'm not?! Everything they do is acceptable, but as soon as I do it it's not?! I inhaled, before I just exploded, doing something James and I had thought we wouldn't ever do.
"Oh Jesus Christ! They've dated for 4 months! James and I have been together for 2 fricken years!" I snapped. Both Miss Kate and James fell silent, staring at me absolutely shocked. I knew Miss Kate was shocked because she had no clue we were together, other than sexually of course, whereas James was just shocked to see me snap. I don't think I've ever been this angry before, and I've never snapped like this before, but I can't stand the double standard between me and my siblings anymore. Miss Kate licked her lips, looking down for a minute before making eye contact with us again.
"This is true?" She inquired, waiting patiently for an answer. I sighed, calming myself down and looking over at James. He nodded his head, grabbing my hand in his and raising our joined hands so Miss Kate could see.
"Yes, it is." He answered, still facing me. "I love Riley." I smiled at him as he placed a kiss on my hand, making sure to keep them intertwined as he did.
"And I love James." I said, the smile still on my face. James finally broke our gaze, looking at Miss Kate, causing me to do the same.
"We were scared to tell Eldon, we knew he'd be mad. At first we were only avoiding saying anything until we were sure it would last. But then we just got used to sneaking around, and we never ended up telling anyone. And now, it's just hard. People are going to be shocked and possibly upset when we tell them we've been dating in secret for so long." James explained. Miss Kate exhaled, looking between both of us.
"Well then, I guess I can't say anything to you two, because clearly you have everything figured out." She told us. I smiled at her, before smiling at James.
"Thank you, Miss Kate."