Chapter 23

I'm actually updating on the day I said I would. This is shocking

James's POV

The ride back to Riley's house had been quiet. Only the radio made any noise. Until we got about 10 minutes away. Riley reached over, turning the radio off. I glanced at her, worried for a moment. She was biting her lip as she stared straight ahead. She's been off this whole time, but especially since we left the appointment. "Pull over." She suddenly said. My body filled with worry. What's going on? I pulled off onto a little side street that doesn't go anywhere. I parked the car, turning to ask her what was wrong. But before I could get any words out, Riley's lips had connected to mine. My eyes widened in shock as she kissed me, but I quickly overcame it. Riley's hands held my face as we kissed. I felt her move, before I heard her undo her seatbelt. Then she was straddling my lap in the blink of an eye. I wrapped my arms around her waist, holding her against me. She unbuckled my seatbelt, before I felt her hands reach for my belt. I pulled from her lips, opening my eyes to watch her.
"Riles? What are you doing?" I asked her. I pulled her hands away from my belt, watching sadness fill her eyes. She sighed, leaning her head against my chest.
"I miss you James." She told me sadly. I sighed, wrapping my arms around her tightly. I placed a kiss on the top of her head, rubbing her back. I didn't know how to react. I've missed her so much. I didn't realize she was missing me too. I love this girl more than anything.
"Why don't we go to my house? We can talk." I said. I felt Riley nod against me. We sat for a few more minutes, myself holding Riley tight. I glanced at the clock. 3:27. I hadn't told Riley her appointment started at the same time as A troupe rehearsal. I also hadn't told Miss Kate where I'd be. I'd figured I'd show up an hour or so late and come up with some lame excuse. But it's been an hour and a half already, and with the state Riley's in I'm not leaving her alone. I'll just have to miss rehearsal today.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Riley's POV

James unlocked the door to his house, motioning for me to enter. I did. Slowly. I was pretty nervous to talk to be honest. Recently nothing in my life has gone correctly and talking has only seemed to make things worse. But I want to get back on a good page with James. And the only way to do that is to talk. I wandered into the living room, sitting on the couch. "No ones home so we don't have to worry about interruptions." James said as he came to sit down as well. On the other end of the couch. You could fit half of A troupe in the space between us. I sighed, pulling my knees into my chest.
"It was a boy." I told him quietly, watching the confused look he gave me.
"What?" He asked.
"The baby. We would've had a boy." I explained. James sighed, hanging his head. We sat in silence for a moment, both of us waiting for the other to talk.
"I didn't mean any of the things I said to you." James stated. "Eldon, he saw us together in your room that day when you were asleep. He thought we were just messing around, didn't give me the chance to explain. He told me I had to break up with you or he'd tell everyone we'd been sleeping together. I didn't want you to go through all that humiliation. I didn't sleep, I was up all night wondering how I could make our breakup sound believable. I couldn't stand to look at your face as I said those things. It broke my heart." I let out a shaky breath.
"I met Nathan the day we broke up. Michelle told me I needed to show you I had already moved on. He was nice, but I didn't really see it going anywhere. I broke up with him because I was pregnant, but I would've done it anyway. The pregnancy just made it happen faster." I told him.
"When did you find out?" He questioned.
"6 weeks ago." I replied. It was silent again.
"Why didn't you tell me?" James asked quietly. I hung my head, unable to look at him.
"I didn't know what to do. I'm only 17. We'd broken up. I thought you hated me." My words hung in the air. I held my breath, waiting for James to respond. What was he thinking right now?
"I could never hate you."