Chapter 24

Last chapter 😱
I wanted to give a small update on the family. As mentioned previously, the mother's injuries were non-life threatening and she is in stable condition. The oldest child was unharmed because he was at university at the time of the shooting. He is back with his mom now. There have been many events to honour the family, including prayer sessions and acknowledgement from all the community activities they were involved in. Today was the memorial service. Due to Covid precautions it was very small, but it was live streamed on YouTube I believe. If anyone is interested in watching the memorial or reading an article on the event, Google 'Traynor Family Oshawa'. Thank you again for allowing me the time I needed, and for keeping them in your thoughts and prayers ❤️
They'll never be whole again, but hopefully one day they will be able to move on.

Eldon's POV

When Emily and I walked in the house after rehearsal today, it was oddly noisy. I could hear multiple people talking, and the oven timer beeping. "Eldon? Emily?" Mom called from the kitchen.
"Yeah?" I replied. I didn't get a response. Instead, mom walked out of the kitchen, smiling at us. I glanced at my twin. She looked as confused as I did.
"Come on, dinners ready and I know you're probably starving." She smiled at us. This is weird. She seems too happy. She's been so stressed recently because of Riley and my and Riley's relationship. Emily and I took off our coats and shoes, following mom into the kitchen. "Riley made your favourite, chicken cacciatore." Mom told us as we walked. Once again, Emily and I exchanged a look. Riley's cooking? What's changed in the 4 hours I was at dance? As I entered the kitchen, I could hear Riley laughing. I furrowed my brows.
"Hey! How was dance?" Dad asked, noticing Emily and myself now in the kitchen. Riley turned her head, smiling at us. She looked genuinely happy. For the first time in weeks, she was happy.
"I-it was good." Emily stuttered, as shocked as I was. Riley's downstairs, she's cooking, she'll be eating with us. This hasn't happened since her miscarriage.
"I, um... I want you to meet someone." Riley told us, licking her lips as the smile disappeared from her face. The joy was replaced with nervousness almost instantly. "I want to introduce you to my boyfriend." She said, shifting so we could see him. She grabbed his hand, holding it tight. I froze. I was a bit shocked. Riley bit her lip as she stared at us anxiously, waiting for our reactions. I couldn't help but smile. He treated her well, I'd found out. It wasn't anything like what I'd thought. And Riley really loved him.
"You know what Ri, I think we've already met." I chuckled. Riley smiled widely at me.
"Yeah, I think we can trust him with our baby sister." Emily agreed. Riley leaned against James, a huge smile on her face. He placed a kiss on her head, wrapping an arm around her shoulder.
"Alright now let's sit down, the foods getting cold." Mom told us as we all sat at the table.