25

Ophelia stood in Klaus' study, watching closely as the male hybrid took a painting off of the wall in the study, revealing a safe that was built into the bricks behind it.

  He spun the dial and put in a secret combination to open it. Inside was a wooden box, which he opened gently as he walked away from the safe.

Ophelia already knew that in the box was a stack of old letters in fading envelopes. Meanwhile, Elijah and Freya entered the room to join the duo, "You collect trophies from all your victims?" Freya asked her brother incredulously.

"More specifically, letters to their loved ones." Ophelia pointed out in a mocking tone.

  Klaus tried to ignore them as he started to look through the letters, "It was a phase." He informed the group, not thinking anything of it.

"A phase in which we were forced to learn a different kind of stealth," Elijah spoke up, leaning forward in the chair he was now sitting in to continue the story for Freya since Ophelia had already heard about it before, "You see, over time, Niklaus' enemies grew so numerous, we had no choice but to artfully withdraw from the world," He paused as Klaus gave his elder brother an offended look, "And then..."

Freya turned to Elijah and gave him both  a curious and exasperated look as he turned to speak to her, "Well, I wouldn't exactly describe our presence in this city as discrete. Wouldn't you agree, Niklaus?"

  Klaus, who was clearly frustrated, finally joined the conversation,  "We all saw the white oak destroyed! Plus, this city is crawling with vampires, all of whom had no choice but to shield me from potential foes! Were I to die, they would die, too. I couldn't have been more safe!" He explained and Ophelia became concerned as she watched his face become filled with worry, "And now my sire link is undone. Those very foes will come for me... Like never before."

Freya sighed deeply, clearly frustrated, "It's only been a few days since the link was broken," She reminded the group, "Must you jump into crippling paranoia already?"

Elijah rolled his eyes, "It's a default setting."

"And for good reason!" He reminded his brother in an angered tone.

Elijah stood to his feet to walk over to where Klaus was standing beside Opehlia, who was utterly silent, "Well, Niklaus, if it offers you any solace whatsoever, you've ransacked Aya's belongings, torched Aurora's hunting ground, and obliterated every last splinter of the white oak."

Klaus lowered his voice threateningly, "I would be mad to believe that."

Elijah shrugged his shoulders, "Perhaps you should see a therapist." He suggested and Ophelia smiled slightly in amusement, knowing that he was right.

Klaus turned to Ophelia, who gave him a stern look, "You really should," She agreed with Elijah, causing Klaus, who realized that they were talking about Cami, to sigh deeply.

  He looked over at Freya, who still looked exasperated by his behavior, before walking away without another word.

Elijah took a deep breath, causing Freya to give him a skeptical look, "Every last splinter? You're sure?" She questioned her brother, who said nothing as he avoided eye contact with her.

Ophelia let out a sigh before turning on her heel, heading out of Klaus' room. She went into her pocket and took the list she had made at Rousseau's. She looked down at the list to see three names crossed off. Aya's, the man she killed at the Davilla Estate, and the one she had killed the previous night. She quickly read through the list twice before speeding out of the compound.

____

In the French Quarter, Ophelia followed after two Strix Members whom she knew were involved in Jackson's death.