29

After the revelation about Lucien's company, Klaus, Ophelia, and Hayley wasted no time in investigating.

The following day, the group of three stopped at a diner in the Appalachians, where Klaus was quietly talking on the phone with Elijah, "If you find him, don't hesitate." He demanded before hanging up the phone just as Hayley and Ophelia approached him.

"Hope's down for the count. She fell asleep as soon as Mary started the car," Hayley explained to Klaus, "I doubt she'll miss the three of us over the next few days."

Ophelia smiled slightly, looking down at a piece of paper ripped out of a small notebook, which had a list of addresses she had written herself on it, "So..." She trailed off, glancing between Hayley and Klaus, "Which of these Kingmaker offices should we hit up first? There's ten of them."

Klaus stared at her worriedly, and after a moment, Ophelia noticed the look on his face and raised a brow at him, "What? What's wrong?"

"Lucien has revealed his true nature. He's taken Freya," Klaus informed the two women, whose eyes widened in shock, "And now, it seems her rescue depends on Elijah working with my ever-reliable brother Finn."

"Oh..." Ophelia trailed off, letting out a sigh in defeat as she looked over at Hayley instead of Klaus, "And I'm guessing you want to go back to New Orleans to head up the hunt?"

Klaus hesitated for a moment, clearly torn between their two different mission. Even though Ophelia was disappointed, she nodded in agreement, "You should go," She suggested, "Hayley and I are sticking with Kingmaker, though. Lucien's working very hard to cover up these wolf kidnappings, and I want to know why. So does Hayley. And there's no way we're giving up now."

Ophelia reached for the list and the keys before turning to leave, "Let's go, Hayley," She insisted and Klaus, who noticed that Ophelia was clearly hoping they could stick together, grabbed her by the wrist and stopped her.

Ophelia slowly turned to face Klaus, looking him directly in the eye as Klaus let out a large sigh, "No. The wolves, Freya's abduction...it can't all be a coincidence. We'll let my brothers pursue the obvious path," Klaus smiled weakly at her, and Ophelia immediately looked surprised by his reaction, quickly sharing a glance with Hayley, "You and I... will pursue this one. No doubt all roads..." He trailed off, tapping his finger on the third address on the list, 122283 Forest Road, "...Lead to the same treacherous bastard."

Ophelia smiled as she turned to Klaus, "Let's do this," She responded, causing Klaus to smile back at her.

______

Later on, Klaus, Ophelia, and Hayley had just gotten out of Klaus' car in the parking lot and were walking toward the office, "Does he just build these from a kit or something?" Hayley asked Klaus incredulously, "It's the exact same for the last five offices. Same windows, same plants..."

"And inside, same generic abstract art, same compellable receptionist..." Klaus trailed off, continuing for Ophelia.

Ophelia sighed, turning to Klaus, "Look, are you sure you wouldn't be better off with your brothers, Klaus, you know, to save Freya and all?" She asked Klaus concerned, "Hayley and I can do the leg-work."

Klaus smiled at Ophelia, "And split up the team now? Just when I'm discovering Hayley's carpool karaoke skills?" He questioned in a sarcastic tone, "I think not!"

Hearing his remark, Hayley immediately began to laugh and soon after, Klaus and Ophelia did as well. Klaus smiled at Ophelia's reaction before continuing on, "No, Lucien is playing a game, here. Each unassuming little office building we search, the more sure I am of it. We keep going. Together." He paused and Ophelia smiled at him as he walked toward the building, Ophelia and Hayley following soon after, "Even if we have to scour one hundred of these poxy places."