9 // Inferiority Is Complicated

The next day was off to a rough start because I refused to leave Aiko with the tutor, which made us at least 45 minutes late. Akamine kept telling me that she'll be fine and that she'd probably be safer here than with us at U.A. I couldn't give less of a shit.

If she's not with me then I can't protect her. I'll have no idea what to do and I'll be useless if I can't save her.

It didn't take long for Akamine to become frantic and in the end I only left because the shouting was upsetting Aiko. The tension in the drive there was too much and the second we got to U.A I get out of the car and slam the door shut. I don't say a word to Akamine and I march straight into my English class.

The second I burst into the room I realise the state I'm in. Akamine didn't fuss over me at all this morning, meaning my hair is messy and natural and my uniform isn't neat at all.

The first couple of buttons on my shirt are undone and my tie is tied in a knot that sits on my chest. My skirt is roled up, making it shorter and it's covered by my shirt which is untucked. The whole look is pulled together by black, thigh-high socks and my blazer is tied around my waist.

I'm wearing the scruffy style uniform that I'm used to wearing. What I used to wear last time I was in education. I was never one for being smart and proper, but then I realise that I'm at a very smart and proper school. This is the kind of look I've being going for since I started wearing uniform again and Akamine always stopped me. Now that she hasn't, I'm not really sure how to feel about it. I just feel out of place.

Present Mic clears his throat from behind me and I'm forced to swallow my outfit anxiety, nevermind the anger that's boiling inside me.

"Sorry I'm late Sir." I walk to the back of the classroom and take a seat. I almost instantly put my head down on the desk. I need to calm down and get my shit together. I'm sure Aiko'll be fine. She better be fucking fine or I'm going to strangle Akamine.

I can feel eyes staring at me and I look up to find at least five people looking in my direction. Mina, Minetta, Bakugou, Todoroki and Present Mic himself. I gingerly smile at the teacher and he goes back to teaching before I look at Mina.

She mouths "are you okay?" at me and I just nod. I avoid everyone else's eyes, not willing to deal with them.

The morning lessons go quickly and I mostly ignore everyone except Mina. This goes on until lunch.
"What's wrong with you today, Hara?" Yaoyorozu says, clearly kind of frustrated with me. The hall seems to quiet down suddenly, like people want to hear my answer, from Bakugou's table to Todoroki who's sat by himself.

"You've been off all day and you look a mess. What's wrong with you?" I'm sure her tone didn't mean to sound harsh but it was easily enough to piss me off.

"What's it to you?" I growl. "The way I look or the way I act, or don't act, shouldn't effect you in any way, shape or form considering I'm not causing a problem."

"Well yes, but you seem weird for no apparent reason."

"I have my reasons so don't assume I don't. It has nothing to do with you so just leave it." I sound very cold and I slightly regret it. "Please." I add very quietly at the end.

"Okay. I'm sorry for intruding." She mutters, learning to back down. The hall stays quiet and it quickly becomes apparent that I'm causing a new found tension in the class.

I know why, I got in via an exam that isn't even official yet which causes an odd number of students in the class. The curiosity about why I was chosen is strong and I can feel that it is, but no one's had the balls to ask me about it, not that I would answer.

I sigh and stand up.
"Kiriko." Mina starts but I wave her off and just leave the room. I don't know where I'm going. I can't go to Akamine because I'm still mad at her and I can't go back to the hall because I know my presence makes most of my class uncomfortable. Most of them think that I don't deserve to be here and I agree to an extent.

I find myself outside of class 1A. I don't open the door, I just kind of stand there.

"What are you doing?" A grumpy voice from behind me makes me jump. I turn around to face Aizawa.

"Oh. It's you." I mutter, sounding like a twat.

"It is. What are you doing?" He's always grumpy, like he's just dead inside. I don't know how to respond and I stay quiet for a couple seconds.

"I don't know." I say as I lower my head and look at the floor. My voice is barely a whisper.

"Right well you better come inside then, I was only going to grab some papers and head to the teachers lounge but class starts soon anyway." He can tell that something is wrong with me.

He opens the door and walks past me and sits in his seat. I stand in the doorway and I find myself just watching Aizawa.

"What are you doing now?" He says whilst looking at his paperwork.

"I still don't know."

"Why are you here? Aren't your friends with Ashido? You normally sit with the girls, even when you weren't in this class." He looks directly at me and worry crosses his face for a split second.

My lips are pushed together and I feel tears sting my eyes. I don't expect him to comfort me and he doesn't.

"I don't belong here Aizawa." I clearly catch him off guard. "I got in through a dodgy exam that isn't perfected and it nearly got my sister in trouble. There was a stampede yesterday and I got so easily distracted that I failed to be there when she needed me. What if something happened? Not to mention that the class clearly think I don't deserve to be here and after this morning I doubt Akamine thinks any differently." I feel the tears escape my eyes.

"What makes you think that?" He says, standing up from his seat and walking up to me.

"I can feel it. Luck makes me more in tune with the universe. I can tell. It's basically a lucky guess. "

"And what if you're wrong?" I look up at him. "Luck isn't everything kid. Your quirk's something special, but at the same time it isn't." That doesn't make any sense but I somehow understand him completely.

This entire situation is so overwhelming. I have to leave my sister for long periods of time. A sister that I haven't left alone for more than ten minutes for two years. I'm in an environment I haven't been in in years and I'm here for different reasons then everyone else. I didn't do the same exam as them and it's suspected I wouldn't even pass it if I did. I just feel inferior.

"Quite frankly I'm glad you're here." Aizawa continues. "You're not set focused on being the best or beating other people like most of the class. You don't see it as winning or losing. You just want to protect somebody. Just like a hero should." He sighs. "Go sit down and calm yourself. The rest of the class should be here soon."

I wipe my eyes and give him a sad smile and walking past him.

"Thank you." I mutter and he just gives me a stiff nod.

He was right, a couple of minutes after I sit down the first people begin to show up. Most of them seem confused that Aizawa's here before them and that I'm already there.

I don't pay attention to any of them except one. I look up to the people walking in and I make direct eye contact with Todoroki. He holds my gaze whilst walking past but doesn't say anything. Nobody says anything. I'm not sure if I want people to ask how I am or if I want them to leave me alone. Either way I'm still going to be a mess.

"Now for today's basic hero training." Aizawa says to the class. "This time, All Might, myself and one other will supervise preparing you for disaster relief from fires to floods."

Great. Rescue training.