31 // The Return Of An Idiot

Christ, this book's getting more attention then I could've ever hoped for. Thank you all so much!

"-Hara?!" Aizawa seemed genuinely  surprised when I stood the doorway of of class 1A the next day, to the point of stopping mid-sentence to address me.

"I wasn't informed you'd be back in class." Aizawa says as I walk past him. "I didn't expect you to be back so soon."

"I have exams to prepare for." I say bluntly, the only reason I'm late for class is because I was running to all my subjects to get all the work I missed. "I have stuff to do so please just leave me be." My stoic tone and brushing off of Aizawa isn't how I'd normally act, along with the fact I completely ignore Mina.

I sit at the back of the class and instantly start scribbling notes nd catching up on work. I hear multiple people try to communicate with me but I completely blank them.

I tuck the loose strands of hair behind my ears, the rest of it being tied up in a loose, messy bun because I didn't care this morning. With that and my messy style uniform, I don't look like the most reliable student.

The frantic tapping of my pen off of the desk is slowly becoming the only sound in the room. I quickly notice the eery quiet and look up to find everyone's eyes on me. My state doesn't change and if anything I only get annoyed, this isn't exactly the time for world's largest staring contest.

"What?" As soon as the word leaves my mouth, I regret it. I'm attacked by so many people at once, their questions tearing into me. Iida and Midoriya aren't asking me questions, but they're giving me concerned looks. Todoroki isn't even looking at me, he's looking blankly at his desk.

Those three were with me in Hosu, they saw my sister's state and I'm sure they can put two and two together to figure out what's happened. Yet, I don't feel like giving them confirmation. I don't feel like telling anybody, except maybe Mina. But, I don't need her pity, or anyone else's for that matter.

"What happened?"

"Where've you been?"

"Did you get hurt?"

The questions poured in like there was no tomorrow and I could feel myself begin to sweat. This was too much. My eyes sting with tears and my very cold tone quickly evaporated into an odd sinking sadness, like my heart was drowning.

"Please just stop." I mutter quietly, whilst I place my hands over my ears and stare at the desks, willing myself not to cry. This is too much, I shouldn't have come back in so soon, I shouldn't have come back at all.

"Just leave her alone." A calm but somehow stern voice rings loud and clear. "If she wanted us to know, she would've said." I look directly at Todoroki as he speaks but he keeps focused on the front of the classroom. Almost everybody shuts up immediately and relief washes over me.

"Thank you." I mutter quietly as I look back down at my work to continue.

This is basically how the rest of my day goes, ignoring everyone and doing as much work as physically possible. I'd be lying if it wasn't exhausted, but I have to do well. I've made a promise to myself and I'm trying my best to push away my doubts about my choices.

By lunch my hand was in agony, which was fine by me. The lunch hall was loud and rowdy, as per usual, but I wasn't willing to deal with it today. As I begin to walk out the room, I come face to face with Todoroki.

He blankly looks down at me whilst I glance up at him, neither of us move for a second, like he's trying to process what to say and how to say it. For some reason, he's the only person I actually stopped to interact with, if you can call this an interaction. I brushed off everybody else, choosing to focus on work.

Yet, here I am, looking up at Todoroki's half and half hair and his mismatched eyes. I guess that's another thing he has in common with Bakugou, they're insanely strong but also attractive. If Bakugou wasn't such an asshat, I'm sure he'd be as popular as good ol' icey hot here.

Once I realise that I've been staring up at him for too long, I bring myself to my senses and I brush past him, knocking his arm slightly.

"Hara.." Todoroki says as I walk past, his often stoic voice is soft and that definitely stopped me during the attack, it acted as a comfort. But now, it doesn't mean much, whilst I appreciate his worry, I certainly don't need it.

I can look after myself.

I make my way outside and sit on the edge of a flowerbed. I take small bites out of my sandwich as I scribble science notes down. I faintly smile to myself, letting myself get lost in the work. We're learning about the different types of science behind fire quirks, which I'm breezing through. My mild obsession with fire quirks when I was younger led me to do a lot of research, so it's fun to go back over this stuff.

That doesn't stop the nagging emptiness though. I remember Aiko once commented on how there's so many people with fire quirks and she doesn't understand why I like them when they're so common.

"Just because it's common, doesn't make it any less powerful." Is what I told her and I still stand by that. Luck is pretty rare, and Energy is practically impossible to find, but that doesn't make them better than anyone else's quirk.

Luck barely helps me most of the time, it doesn't actually do what I want in to and so far I haven't had any sort of opportunity to show what it can actually do. Sure, there was my enterence exam, but a lot of people in the course don't except that, seeing it as one off skills. I don't blame them either, it's not like I've proformed well since.

Even in training I haven't got anywhere. All Might's class is interesting to say the least, but all it's done is show me that even my own quirk doesn't think I'm good enough.

Which is exactly the reason I need to work harder. I have to learn to work well with Luck but it doesn't help that I have little to no understanding of how it actually works. I've never really been told the science behind Luck and I really like knowing how and why quirks work the way they do.

I know that Aiko had overactive mitochondria, which led to a lot of respiration in cells creating a lot of energy which she could control, but it also meant she had an increased heart rate due to the fact she needed to get more oxygen to her cells.

My notes about fire quirks quickly turn into the science about as many quirks as I could possible know the science behind. Whilst I know the basics of it, half the time I don't actually understand what most of it means. Ryu's tried his best to explain the deeper science of things to me but he didn't get very far.

You wouldn't tell from looking at him, but Ryu's incredibly smart. He actually singlehandedly designed and built my staff.

Ryu always loved Aiko when she was younger, he'd often babysit her when we were all too busy. A pang of guilt hits me as I realise that I took Aiko away from him, I bet he didn't think that when we left two years that'd be the last he'd ever see her alive.

"Kiriko..?" A high pitched and concerned voice comes from being me that I instantly recognise as Mina's. I don't turn to look at her and I focus on my work.

"Not talking, huh? Well too bad, we need to."