35 // Tests And Terror 2.0

Yikes, so I know that Mina and Kaminari vs Nezu is in ground Gamma but we're just gonna pretend that they're in another industrial themed ground for this to be more convenient.

The bus ride to ground Gamma was an intense one to say the least. It was just me, Akamine and the driver. I had my earphones in and Akamine didn't want to talk to me anyway.

Whilst we had a decent relationship, our interactions have been few and far between since Ryu showed up. I spend nearly all of my time at home with him and she's distanced herself from me probably because of Aiko's death. I don't think any of us have properly come to terms with what's happened, but Akamine was there, Aiko was under her care.

Aiko was under her care.. Wait, does she blame herself for what happened? It was out of her control, if luck's taught me anything, it's that if something's going to happen then it will. I guess that's what I'm clinging to in order to try and pull myself through.

"It's not your fault," Akamine looks at me, seemingly stunned, "what happened with Aiko, it's not your fault."

She looks away from me and stares at the floor before rubbing her face in her hands.

"I know." She mutters very quietly. "But I can't help but feel like I should've done something. You managed to look after her by yourself for two years, then I look after her for five minutes and.. well, you know the rest."

"Yeah but..." The wounds still new and raw, so I'm not willing to suddenly dive into conversation about it. "It's just not your fault, Saya."

Using her first name is a risky move because she doesn't use it for literally anything, but she looks up at me before leaning back into her seat. I guess it got my point through to her though.

The bus grinds to a halt and I just look at her. She gives me the brief explanation of the weights before I walk into ground Gamma.

In all honestly I'm pleased that I got this area, it's one of the hardest to traverse, meaning that it gives me the advantage of being able to use the pipes to travel across.

I have a head start, kind of. I'm meant to escape the course or handcuff her, and it's Akamine, so she's obviously going to have some kind incredibly well thought out plan. On the other hand, my only plan is to get out. And fast.

I don't plan on increasing luck until Akamine shows up, and I have the sneaking feeling she's going to play on my paranoia for a fair while, which ironically calms me down. That means she won't be a problem for a short while at least.

My biggest issue at the moment is getting through the damn grounds by myself. My glee of getting this ground quickly fades because all I can see in front of me is pipes and more pipes. How am I supposed to find the damn exit?

There's a sudden scraping noise and I instantly recognise it. Sure, I've trained one on one with Akamine in my spare time, but I don't have a clue what the extent of her abilities actually are or how much iron she can produce at once.

I grind to a halt as thousands of tiny iron pieces slide across the ground and rise to form three, distorted looking people. They honestly look like something from uncanny Valley and they're fucking horrific.

Suddenly the one in front of me charges at me. Prepared to fight, I swing my weapon around to hit it in this head and I watch in horror as the completely disperses and then reforms next to me.

I slowly begin to back away from them. Fuck fuck fuck. Hara you've got yourself in some weird situations, but you can't get a hit on these things. Think think think.

I look up in my panic of finding a way out and I see the pipes. Alright, don't fuck this up.

"Going up?" I say, trying to calm my own nerves with my shitty humour. All I hear is the scraping of the metal against itself, like a distorted growl.