46 // Shooting The Messenger

I don't know how long I'd been wondering around because probability was messing with my concept of time, along with making my head spin like an old record. It felt like I'd been walking around for hours, but in reality I knew it was about ten minutes. Fifteen at most.

A sudden, horrible scent fills my nose and I'm sent into an instant coughing fit. Some kind of toxic gas is floating around, must be the work of a villain.

I stop using probability to get my bearings, but that doesn't mean luck has stopped. Luck doesn't stop and I can't control it, but I can control probability when I really want to.

As I'm leaning against a tree, I hear footsteps. We might not be allowed to fight, and I'm not exactly a great opponent without a weapon, but I'm fully prepared to fight hand to hand if I need to.

Luckily I don't need to as a familiar face, and a not so familiar face emerge from the fog.

"Hara!" Despite her voice being muffled from the gas mask she's wearing, Yaoyorozu seems genuinely surprised and pleased to see me. She's with a boy from class 1B that I don't think I've ever interacted with in my life, but that doesn't bother me right now. "What are you doing out here? You were in the last group, I assumed you'd still be back at the main clearing."

"I left to try and potentially injured people." I say between short breaths.

"Here," she creates a gas mask in seconds and throws it at me, "be careful, Hara, I don't want to see you, or anyone else, get hurt."

"Yeah you too, Yaoyorozu, let's survive this. Mendalay told me to tell everyone to get to safety, you should probably go head back to the camp." We give eachother a stiff but friendly nod before going off in opposite directions. My eyes follow her as she walks away. Good luck, Momo.

Pulling the mask over my face, I walk forwards, closer to the source of where the gas is coming from. There's a more likely chance of their being people knocked out near the centre of whatever is causing this gas.

Activating probability again gives me an almost instantly induced headache and I have to be careful about whatever probability it is I'm effecting. I don't want increase the chances of their being any casualties, I want to increase the chances of me finding someone that's already a casualty. So if no one is hurt, I won't find anybody, but if someone is, I will.

The further I walk, the thicker the gas gets. I've already figured out that there will be a limit to how much gas this thing will filter, the closer I get to whatever is causing this, the more likely it is that it'll break on me, then I'll be seriously fucked.

Every single step a take without finding anyone feels like a massive relief honestly. Probability would instantly make me find someone if they were hurt afterall, and the lack of injured people, in this area at least, really reassures me.

I didn't notice at first because I was so caught up in looking out for people, but the gas fog is noticeably thicker then it was before. Probably should've noticed that when I started struggling to see the ground.

"Everybody in class A and B can fight back!" A loud booming voice rings out throughout my own head. Whilst this should be a relief that I can protect myself, it makes me panic since something awful must have happened to make Mendalay change her mind completely.

Traversing through the gas is becoming more and more of a head sore, forcing me to completely shut down probability and the world stops being tainted red. My head feels like its going to explode, each throb of pain is in sync with my heartbeat, so it's like a fresh wave of pain each time blood's pumped around me.

A loud bang suddenly erupts from not too far away from me and it makes my hear drop monumentally. Adrenaline courses through me as I run towards the sound. A sound that is all too familiar to me thanks to my weapon, a gunshot.

What if someone's been shot? If I get there quick enough I might be able to help, depending where the wound is. I know basic health and safety protocol and what to do in a fair few medical emergencies thanks to my excessive amount of science research.

The adrenaline coursing through me increases my heat eat and causes my head to throb even more, but I refuse to stop, if someone's been hurt, I have to help them. That is why I'm even in the forest anyway.

"... It's just a matter of time before you breathe your last." I freeze in my spot as I hear an unfamiliar voice say just through the fog directly in front of me. There's then a lot of clashing noises, like two people are fighting, some of them sound almost metallic.

I don't know what to do, I don't want to effect whoever's fighting chances of winning by just diving in and I can't use probability because I don't know who I want to win, I can't see them.

"Testutetsu!" The name rings loud and clear, I recognise the voice too, I think its Kendo. I try to increase the probability of the pair winning against whoever it is their fighting, but I can't. The pain blasting through my head is too painful for me to handle.

It's not like I can fight either. The guy there fighting has a gun, and I'm completely and utterly defenseless. Not to mention that my own quirk has damaged me to the point that I can't even use it.

I can't quite make out what they're saying for the most part because I'm too busy panicking about what I'm going to do.

Suddenly there's this feeling like I'm being smacked in the face by a massive gush of wind. I watch in awe as the gas is completely blown away from the centre in every direction possible. Through the now thin layer of gas, I can see Kendo waving her massive hand around, using it as a fan to push away the toxic chemicals.

Testutetsu then bursts forward, punching the villain, who is wearing a hightech looking gasmask, and slamming his face onto the ground, completely shattering the mask.

I stare at them both blankly whilst they talk, neither of them noticing me. They're both making sure the other is okay and well.

I'm relieved that both of them seem fine, slightly out of breath, but fine. Neither of them have been shot.

I direct my attention to the guy that's lay on the ground. He's completely crushed into the floor, his face battered. I notice him twitching slightly, like he's trying to move but clearly not getting anywhere.

I'm about to walk over to the pair and make sure everything is okay instead of assuming it is, when in the corner of my eye I see the guy moving again.

The sudden realisation of what he's trying to do clicks as I notice the pistol in his hand as he begins to cock it in Kendo's direction.

"Kendo! Look out!" I scream as I bolt forward. My legs move without me even thinking. The way he's holding the gun terrifies me because it's pointing directly at her chest, he's either going to puncture her lungs or hit her heart. Either would kill her in a matter of seconds, and Tetsutetsu hasn't even noticed. Even if he did, he seems too exhausted to move quick enough to activate his quirk and move fast enough to stop the bullet.

I teach Kendo as he pulls the trigger. It's like the world was in slow motion, every throb in my head sends a fresh pulse of pain but it doesn't matter.

I slam basically by entire body into Kendo because I can't stop myself in time and the bullet flies.

In a split second, thousands of memories hit me as the bullet hurdles towards me. Ryu, Akamine, Mina. Todoroki. People I wanted to live along the side of. I never wanted to be a hero, yet here I am, taking a bullet for someone I've spoken to once. Aiko wanted me to be a hero.

Aiko.

She also wanted to live. She wanted me to live. I have to live for her. I'm going to survive this. I have the highest chance of surviving in these situations because luck won't let me do otherwise.

I'm not going to die here.

The thought rings loud and clear as the bullet tears into my left shoulder, finding a new home in my agony.