Morning of Choosing

I woke on the Morning of Choosing early, as they were said to arrive at 10. Dressing in my usual dark green leggings I pulled on a clean white shirt, and my leather top and then draped a new dark green cloak that contrasted very well with my hair around me. Plaiting my hair in its usual fishtail braid, I pulled on my boots and hid multiple weapons on my body, including my sword gifted to me from my father hanging by my side, and my bow on my back. My sword was a dark silver blade with an even darker handle, black diamonds encrusting it in the shape of swirls fading up the handle in the shape of a dragon head. I treasured my sword and didn't show it to anybody. My bow was a dark oak bow that I had made myself. I also had many herbs/potions that I had made on my own, that we're healing, or poison to put on my arrows.

I headed straight to the town square, and leant against the corner of one of the buildings, hiding in the shadows. Soon enough people started flocking in, and only Zara saw me, for she was the only one that knew I would be hiding, most people just forgot I existed or didn't care. She leant into the shadows like me, and we watched the ceremony building up, without saying a word. After a while, the village elder stood in the middle, where there was a podium in the shape of a  nest. The dragon riders put a glass egg in there that we would touch and if we were a dragon rider or magic, it would glow different colours.  If you have any type of magic, you are destined to have a dragon. Usually, the egg glows with two colours, the red for a rider every time, and then the different colour on top as well. You can have someone with no powers as just a red colour. But you can't have just purple or black or silver or gold - if you have magic you are a rider and will have a red colour. Very rarely, you can have three of these, then the egg glows with the three colours. The rarest colours from most to least (minus having three powers) are Gold then Black, then Purple and then Silver.

Purple: Witch/wizard

Black: Vampire 

Silver: Shapeshifter

Red: Rider

Gold: Elemental powers/powers

The elder started his speech:

"Welcome, people of Weatherstone Village! We have birthed strong-blooded dragon riders for centuries now, and will continue to do so! We celebrate this year, the 50th year of being claimed by Zantrax Academy. Please welcome the dragon riders!" He finished his speech and motioned towards the sky where three dark shapes were flying towards us. As they drew nearer I could recognise the Night Dragon and rider from before, and two new dragons, one Lightning, and one North. The Lightning dragon was dark grey and faded into purple at the wings, and the North dragon was a turquoise colour. 

There are many different types of dragons and these included north, south, east and west types. North dragons are naturally bigger than others, East are water dragons with no wings but are exceptionally fast swimmers, South Dragons are feathered and fast flyers and West Dragons have manes and tails that could set fire, making them very dangerous especially around flammable things. These dragons could be any colour and sometimes had another type on top of that. The other types were: Night, Crystal, Lightning, Air, Water, Earth, and Fire. So you could have a North Water dragon, for example. That was the dragon heading right towards us right now. The Night dragon roared as they flew towards us. I rolled my eyes, that dragon is such a show-off. Probably takes after his rider. I thought for a second. Definitely takes after his rider, I thought while grinning. The dragons landed gracefully.

"Oooh Finesse," Zara muttered next to me. I couldn't help stifle a chuckle at that. The riders jumped off their dragons and strode towards the centre and the Podium. The Night Dragons rider was the leader, and the North Water dragons rider was a girl with long blue hair and a happy face, she was smiling the whole time. The lightening dragons rider was a boy with longish blond hair that was slightly wavy and fell around his shoulders. He had a strict expression on his face and was looking over us with a critical eye as if he was looking for someone, and just generally judging us. He couldn't see us of course but I still shrunk back further, not wanting to be seen. The Night dragon boy I met before wasn't wearing a cloak anymore, and now I could see his features properly. He had light skin, dark hair, and great features. If I do say so myself. Both the boys were pretty hot. All the riders were wearing the same uniform. They placed the egg on the podium and looked around at us. 

"So," The blonde one said " Any 16-year-olds?" He smirked.