Dragons?

All the girls my age simpered sickeningly at the two boys on the stage. The blue haired girl rolled her eyes and muttered something to the blonde, both of them grinning. Then my elder spoke:

"All 16-year-old girls and boys line up in front of us here!" He announced to the whole square. Everyone lined up quickly, and slowly Zara and I made our way to the end of the girl line, my cloak still covering me. The blonde scanned the crowd again while the other two were arranging the egg and talking to the elder and then caught sight of me. He smirked at me, and I raised an eyebrow. He leant forward and said something to the other two, and they both nodded and scanned us again, catching sight of me. This time I rolled my eyes. They were talking about me, and they couldn't make it more obvious if they tried. I turned to Zara. 

"So. They may all be looking at me." She turned and looked at me, laughing.

"Flaunt it, girl! Two hot boys looking at you. What's the problem?" I rolled my eyes at her this time, turning back to the stage as they started talking to us once again. The started at the left side of the boy line, making their way over till they reached the girls. Two of the boys our age were chosen as dragon riders, leaving two girls to be chosen. The first boy was called Zane, and he had dark grey long hair and was a rider and had elemental powers, he would be a very skilled rider, and a powerful one too. He treated me well, we barely spoke but exchanged nods of respect often, for he was a skilled Hunter. 

The second was a boy called Jake, he was a bit of an idiot, and had dark blonde spiked hair, he was a shapeshifter and rider. We didn't talk often but when we did it would be to jeer at one other and we often had sword fights as he would start them easily, and I would always finish them quickly, ending up with him on the ground. That's why we weren't the best of friends, his pride always got hurt. I exchanged a glance with Zane and I nodded at him, congratulating him on being a powerful rider. He nodded back, and we grinned. 

They were halfway through the girls at this point, no one was a rider yet. Zara was ahead of me a bit, and when they got to her, I held my breath. She touched the egg, and immediately it lit up with a red and purple light. She was a witch and a rider! I was so happy for her, but I resisted the urge to run up and hug her, as it was slightly unprofessional, and not exactly elegant. She walked up to the stage to stand next to Zane and Jake and I grinned widely at her and she grinned back. The egg was nearly at me. Soon enough I went up to the podium and apprehensively touched the egg. I was magic! Not only that but when I touched it, it lit up with three colours. Red, gold and black! I was rider, elemental powers and vampire? Interesting. I looked up to see the blue-haired girl rider looking extremely shocked, the Night dragon rider looking curious, and the blonde haired looking at me with a smirk on his face. I walked over to Zara and hugged her, we stood together on the stage with Jake and Zane while the Elder made a speech about "how proud he was" and "we would make the village proud" and "Go Zantrax" shit, sucking up to the riders. 

Soon the rest of the crowd dispersed and we were left with the four of us, and the three dragon riders. Blondie stared at me. I stared at him. He stared at me. I crossed my arms, still staring at him. Blondie grinned. 

"Right, I don't know what I'm interrupting between you two, but we have to get back to the academy."

"Oh, nothing. You're interrupting nothing. Just a staring contest between me and this idiot, which, may I say, I won." I announced to the group. Blondie smirked.

"I'm an idiot now? Careful darling, I'm the one with the dragon here." He warned me, still smirking.

"Yep, and I'm the one with the brains, but you know, you can't have everything in life," I said scathingly to him and walked away. He cracked up laughing. Blue hair was laughing too. The others just watched our exchange incredulously. 

"Oh, I love her. She's great!" I heard her say, as I retrieved my bow and arrows I left on the side of the Market Square. I walked back over as we were being sorted onto dragons. I was on the Lightning dragon with Blondie. 

"Yay. More bonding time" I said sarcastically to him. Really though I didn't mind him, he was alright. 

"I know right. Me and you gonna be the best of friends now" He said right back to me. We grinned at one another, jumping onto his dragon and soon we were soaring into the sky. Finally, I was on the back of a dragon, somewhere I have wanted to be for years.

"Just, you know, out of interest. You know anyone there called Jason?" I asked him.

"You mean Jason Stone?" He asked.

"That's the one" I nodded at him

"He's the most powerful one in our school. He would have done the dragon claiming this year, but he said there was something personal, and he couldn't do it. He's also a very good friend of mine. You know him?" Blondie said, awe filling his eyes as he talked about him, then narrowing down on me again as his eyes filled with curiosity and were slightly suspicious. 

"Something like that," I said, my heart swelling up after hearing about my brother. That personal reason had to be me, he knew I would turn 16. I couldn't wait to see him.

"Alright. The names Alex, by the way."

" Elia."