2

"Katie, what happened to your face?" Soda asked me when he and Steve walked in after work, just as I walked into the living room.

"I got jumped, it's fine." I said as I took Two-Bit's beer out of his had and took a swig.

Soda immediately took the beer away from me. "No." He scolded, giving it back to Two-Bit, who was pouting.

"Whatever. I'm going for a walk." I said, trying to leave only to have Steve grab my arm and stop me.

"I don't think so." He said, not releasing my arm. I was trying not to panic, hoping the blood didn't seep through my sweatshirt and get on his hand and give me away.

"Yeah, you're not going anywhere alone. Why don't you help me cook dinner? Besides, I haven't seen my baby sister all day!" Soda said, flashing a crooked smile as he took off his DX hat.

Everyone was silent for a moment, waiting to see what I would do: pull away from Steve and run out the door or give in to Soda and help cook. I sighed and gave in, not wanting to upset Soda.

We went to the kitchen and began cooking spaghetti for dinner. Soon, Darry and Pony came home, both joining us in the kitchen.

"Katie, are you okay? Dal told us what happened when we came in." Darry asked, looking me over.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just a bruise or two." I said, not looking up from the salad I was making.

Darry sighed. "Please be more careful, I don't want anything to happen to you." He said before patting me on the back and going to his room to change.

Pony stood close and looked at me with puppy dog eyes. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes, Pone." I said, giving him a fake reassuring smile to get him to stop worrying. We were only a year apart, but I always treated him as if he were my own child, trying to protect him as best I could.

Things went back to normal as we all ate dinner together. Two-Bit, Steve, and Soda all made a bet to see who could eat the most spaghetti with no hands or silverware, entertaining the rest of us. In all the laughter and mess that was created, I got away without eating much. It wasn't my fault, I just didn't have an appetite.

After dinner, Darry did dishes, Pony and Johnny did homework on the porch, Dally smoked outside, Steve and Soda played poker, and Two-Bit and I watched tv.

"Katie, go do your homework." Darry told me as he finished drying the dishes.

"I don't have any." I lied.

"Then why did I get a phone call from your English teacher, saying you hadn't turned any assignments in since last month?"

"Because she's a bitch and a liar." I shrugged, still keeping my focus on the Mickey Mouse cartoon playing on the tv.

"Katie, homework, now." He commanded. I groaned and trudged off to my room, shutting the door behind me.

I opened my books and tried to work, I really tried, but I couldn't focus. I zoned out, staring blankly at my work for hours, until there was a knock at my door, drawing me back to reality.

"What?" I asked, the door opening to reveal Sodapop.

"How's the homework coming?" He asked, peeking his head in.

"Not good." I sighed. "I can't focus on it."

"Too much on your mind?" He asked, walking inside and sitting on the bed beside me.

"I guess you could say that."

We were quiet before Soda gently touched the bruise on my cheek. "Are you okay?"

"Soda, for the hundredth time, I'm fine. I can handle a few punches." I said with an exasperated sigh.

"I know but, well." He sighed. "Dal said you didn't look like you were fighting back at all and it's the fourth time you've been jumped in the past week! That ain't normal, Katie."

"I don't know what to tell you, Soda. Soc's suck, what's new?"

"Is it just the soc's?"

"What?"

"Nobody gets jumped that often and every time one of us saves you, it never looks like you're trying to fight back. We all know you know how to fight, hell, you gave Steve a black eye for eating the last piece of cake!"

"Yes, Soda, I let the soc's jump me just for shits and giggles. It makes me feel alive." I say sarcastically, knowing it sounded ridiculous enough in itself to sound like a joke. Too bad it was the truth.