11

After Two-Bit left, everyone left me alone and I eventually fell asleep, lights still on as I hadn't intended to sleep.

Awhile later, I woke up to my door creaking open. I opened my eyes and saw Soda. "What're you doing?" I asked sleepily.

"I didn't mean to wake you up, I was just coming to turn the light off and put a blanket on you." He said, flipping off the light switch before maneuvering me under the blankets on my bed. "Alright, I'll leave you alone now."

As he was leaving, I grabbed his arm. "Will you stay with me?"

"Sure, honey." He said, laying down beside me and putting his arm around me. "I love you, you know. You're the best damn sister I could've asked for."

"Love you too, Soda." I mumbled before falling asleep against his chest.

Hours later, I woke up again and looked at the clock, seeing it was only 3:45. Soda was still asleep, snoring slightly. I decided to get up and grab a glass of water, quietly leaving the room so I didn't wake him up.

When I got to the kitchen, I peeked into the living room and saw Dally, Johnny, Two-Bit, and Steve all asleep on the couch and floor.

I turned on the sink and filled up a glass, drinking it all before setting the glass down in the sink quietly. Then I decided that, instead of going back to bed, I needed some fresh air.

I quietly went out the door and sat on the front steps, listening to the quiet of nature. It wasn't long before the front door opened and shut, making me turn around to see who it was.

"Whatcha doing up, Katie-Kate?" Steve asked, sitting down beside me on the step.

"I don't know. I woke up, got a drink, and now I'm not tired anymore so I came out for some air. What about you? You were knocked out on the floor a few minutes ago?"

"I heard the door shut." He said, both of us quiet for moment before he sighed. "I knew something was going on with you for months, I just couldn't figure out what. Then yesterday, when I grabbed your arm so you wouldn't leave the house alone, I felt a bandaid or something on your arm. I should've said something then, but I just figured it wasn't my business. But you're my family and I love ya, so it is my business, isn't it?"

I took a deep breath and looked down at the dark steps, not sure how to respond. But I didn't have to respond, because he continued.

"What goes through your head when you're cutting? What're you feeling when you do it?"

I was caught off guard by his question. I'd never thought about it. "I don't really know. I don't think anymore, I just do. When I first started doing it, it was a way to get relief after a hard day or something. But it got addicting, and I started doing it everyday, and even more when I was anxious or something."

"Huh." He said, thinking about my answer. "So it's kinda like how I pick fights or how Two-Bit drinks or how Dally smokes? Just something we do that we probably shouldn't?"

I was shocked he understood it so well. "That is the best anyone has ever put it. And yes, it's exactly like that."

"Well, how about you start a different hobby? Something you can do when you'd usually cut?"

"Like what?"

"Well, it's gotta be something you choose, not me. Until you figure something out, your hobby can be talking to one of us guys. I know your brothers are always around to talk to you, and I'm always here, too."

"Thanks, Steve." I said, standing up. "I think I'm gonna head back to bed."

"Alright, see you later."