7

When we got home, Two-Bit kept his promise, giving me half of his beer, some cake, and watching Mickey with me on the couch. Dally was outside smoking, waiting for Johnny to get home so he could fill him in.

I heard Pony and Johnny get home from school and climb up the porch steps.

"Pony, go inside." I heard Dally command.

"What? Why?" Pony asked, hating to take orders from anyone without reason.

"I have to talk to Johnny in private, now go." He said sharply. I knew he gave Pony a look because the front door soon opened and slammed shut.

"What's Dally's deal?" He asked, collapsing in the couch beside us.

"Nothing. How was school?" I asked, quickly changing the subject.

"Fine, I guess. I brought home your work from today."

I smiled at him; Ponyboy was always so thoughtful. I loved that little brother of mine. "Thanks Pone."

Suddenly the door flung open and Soda and Steve burst in, loud as always.

"Steve's got a secret and he won't tell!" Soda announced.

"So does Dally." Pony added.

"Ain't we all entitled to privacy and whatnot?" Two-Bit asked, earning weird looks from my brother's.

"Uh, sure, I guess." Pony shrugged.

"Nope. Never have been in this group." Soda grinned, putting Steve in a headlock. "You gonna spill? Cmon Stevie, I know you wanna!"

We all laughed as Steve punched Soda in the stomach to get free, the two beginning to wrestle on the floor.

Meanwhile, I looked out the window and saw that it looked like Johnny and Dally were about done talking. I decided to go outside with them, I wanted a smoke anyway. And luckily, with the wrestling match going on, I was able to sneak out undetected.

When I got outside, Johnny looked at me with his big dark eyes. "Are you okay, Katie?"

I nodded. "No, but I think I will be one day, Johnny."

Dally lit a cigarette and I joined him, stealing another from his pack.

"I should've known you was depressed, you ain't been yourself in months." Johnny told me, shaking his head. Oh no, he was blaming himself. No! This was what I dreaded.

"Don't, Johnny. Don't blame yourself. It won't do any good." I told him.

He shook his head again as I looked off in the distance, just smoking my cigarette. I saw him give me a pitiful look out of the corner of my eye.

"So, tonight, when we're telling your brothers, What're you gonna be doing?" Johnny asked.

"She's gonna be with us." Dally answered, earning a shocked look from me.

"I sure as hell ain't!" I told him.

"Come on, Katie! You think they wanna hear this from us?"

"They don't wanna hear it at all!"

"They're going to!"

"Fine, but not from me! And if I'm the one who has to tell them, then they aren't gonna know!"

"Alright, guys, knock it off. I was just asking, don't go getting mad and fighting now." Johnny cut in. "Dal, don't go getting Katie upset now, we are telling the boys and she doesn't have to be there for the conversation if she doesn't wanna. Katie, you can't run from help. We're here and we're going to get you through this but you've gotta let us."

I don't know how I felt about that, letting them help me? How do I accept help? What if I don't want help? I wish I hadn't run into Two-Bit today so this wouldn't be happening.