10

"Hey Katie." Two-Bit said as he walked in my room, sitting down in the desk chair Darry had just been in.

"Hi."

"How'd everything go?"

"Pretty much as I'd expected it would. But how did they take it when you told them?"

He took a deep breath before shaking his head. "Darry didn't say much, he just wanted details. The only way you could tell he was crying was the tears, his voice didn't shake or nothing. Soda lost it. He was crying pretty hard, but Steve comforted him best he could. Pony's taking it surprisingly well. I think he's in shock or something, but Johnny knows so he's keeping an eye on him."

I nodded, soaking it all in. We were quiet for a minute before I looked up at Two-Bit again. "You've handled all of this really well."

"It's not my first rodeo, honey." He said vaguely, earning a confused look from me.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, after my dad left us, my mom was real depressed. She quit eating, started cutting, even burned herself sometimes with cigarettes. I was 10, but I had to grow up and be a man, help her through it and raise my little sister, she was only 2 at the time. And for 14 months, I had to act like an adult, make sure Mom didn't hurt herself too bad, make sure Brenda was fed and clothed, it was hard. Especially when, one day, I found Mom on the floor bleeding out after cutting too deep. I had to call 911 for the first time ever and I was terrified they'd take me and Brenda away from her. By some miracle, they didn't. She started counseling and eventually got herself back on her feet. Even took us to Disney World once she did. And I'll tell you something, that trip was the happiest any of us had been in a long time and not only that, but that's when I was finally able to stop being the adult and start being the kid again. That's why I love Mickey Mouse so much. And it's why I'm so childish now; I had to be the adult before and it sucked."

I looked at him in awe, shocked that none of the gang knew about this. "I didn't know that, Two. I'm sorry none of us knew or were there to help you."

He smiled and waved it off. "Don't worry about it, kid, it was years ago. Besides, your parents knew and they did their best to help out however they could: sending food home with me, cleaning the house while I was at school, things like that. But, now that you know that, you also know that I've helped someone through this before, and I can do it again. Whatever it takes to get you back to your happy, carbon-copy-of-Sodapop self, I'm gonna do it."

I grinned at him, glad to see he was so willing to help, and slightly experienced. But I also felt bad because, if he was going to help me, he'd have to act like an adult. And he said it himself he didn't like that. I don't know, it's been a long day and my mind is fried.

"Thanks, Two." I said as he stood up.

"Get over here." He said, pulling me up and into a hug. "I'm gonna tell you something, and then I'm gonna tell you again and again until you believe me: I love ya, I care about ya a lot, and I couldn't get along without ya."