6

"What's up, guys? Katie, why ain't you at school?" Soda asked as me, Two-Bit, and Dally walked into the DX.

"I took a personal day, Darry knows about it." I told him, hopping onto the counter and kicking Steve in the process.

"Watch it, little girl." He teased, throwing a greasy rag at me.

"Make me, old man." I laughed, kicking him again.

He laughed and shook his head. "This girl is gonna get it, I swear to God."

"Steven, a word?" Two-Bit called, he and Dally standing by the door.

"Did you just call me Steven?" Steve asked, eyebrows raised.

"Yes, it's serious, come here." Dally said, glaring at him until he followed them outside and into the garage.

Soda looked at me for answers as to what just happened. I just shrugged, playing dumb. Two, Dal, and I agreed to tell the rest of the gang before they told Darry, Soda, and Pony.

I didn't want them to know, but I knew that, if they already knew, they'd be able to help Two-Bit tell my brothers. We all knew they'd take it hard. I hated that I was causing all this.

I felt like I was in a movie, watching as Two-Bit told person after person in the gang, feeling awful as I watchedvperson after person feel guilty and sorry for me. I felt so vulnerable, like Two-Bit was telling everyone in the gang he found a kicked puppy in an ally that needed love.

"So, what's going on? You know something I don't and I can see it in your eyes." He said, standing face-to-face with me as I sat on the counter, still shorter than him.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Sir Soda." I said with a smile, trying to keep him distracted and happy, knowing he wouldn't be later.

He narrowed his eyes, looking into mine before shaking his head and smiling. "Doesn't matter, I'll find out sooner or later. Anyway, me and Steve get off in a couple hours, and we still have cars to fix."

Soda began walking to the garage and I followed, hoping that Two and Dal were finished explaining everything to Steve. And as soon as I got through the door, I knew they were because Steve gave me a pitiful look as Soda laid underneath a car.

"We better get going, Pony and Johnny will be home from school soon." Dally said, clearing his throat. Don't tell me he was crying again! Man I hated doing this to everyone.

"Alright, see y'all in a couple hours!" Soda called from under the car.

Steve made sure Soda was still under the car before hugging me. "I love ya, kiddo, don't forget it." He let go and I smiled at him. One thing for sure, as much as I hated making everyone upset, I didn't mind seeing their very rarely shown soft sides.

The three of us began walking back to my house and I asked, "How'd he take it?"

"He said he already suspected something was going on with you about 3 months ago." Two-Bit informed me.

What? How? I never wore short-sleeves and was so careful!

Dally seemed to read my mind. "Not the cutting, man, the depression and your moods. None of us knew you were cutting your arms up."

"Oh." I mumbled, my head down, kicking rocks as he walked along.

"Hey, don't be so embarrassed, Katie-girl! You need help, and we're going to help. Letting people know is the first step to getting you that help." Two-Bit told me, placing his hand on my shoulders.

"Feels pretty lousy." I sighed.

"Does it help if I let you drink half a beer, eat chocolate cake, and watch Mickey Mouse with me before the rest of the gang gets home?" He asked, eyebrows raised and a goofy grin on his face.

I laughed a little and shook my head. "Sure, Two, sounds great."

"Here." Dally said, lighting a cigarette before handing it to me. "I think you need one of these, too."

"Did Dallas Winston just share his cigarettes?" I teased, taking it and placing it between my lips.

"Only for you, kid."