27

"...And then the guy says to Steve, 'If you wanted a tip, you should've charged less for the engine fix.' And Steve didn't like that, so he looks the guy over and says, 'If you wanted a wife, you should've lost 50 pounds.' And I'll tell you what, I've never seen a middle-aged guy leave so quick." Soda laughed as he told a story about work that I swear I've heard 86 times. But at least I knew he was focused on the story and not me getting ready.

"Okay, I'm dressed now, you don't have to face the door with your eyes closed anymore. I just need to brush my hair." I told him, drying it with a towel.

He turned around and sighed.

"That's a heavy sigh of excitement. What's up?" I asked him, beginning to brush out my hair.

"Oh Nothing. You just take forever to get ready." He sighed again.

I had to laugh. Soda could be so dramatic.

"Well, sorry." I shook my head, finishing brushing my hair and putting down the brush.

We went out to the kitchen and saw the gang was there. "There she is! Katie, you and Ponyboy are my bitches today." Two-Bit announced.

"What?" I asked, confused as I sat down beside Steve and Johnny at the table.

"Your brothers are working so I'm babysitting you two little hellions." He grinned.

"I thought you guys were off this week?" I questioned Darry and Soda.

"Well, you're back home and safe now so we're going back to our schedule." Darry explained. "As long as you're okay with that."

"Yeah, no it's fine. I'm gonna go outside for a minute, get some fresh air." I told them, wondering who would follow this time.

Much to my surprise, when I got out the door and turned around, I saw Johnny had followed me.

"Hey Johnny." I said gently as we sat down on the step.

"Soda told us what happened last night." He started quietly.

I sighed, not wanting a lecture.

"Look, I'm not gonna lecture you on how that was bad or why you shouldn't have done that. You already know. I just want to tell you that, just because you slipped up once, doesn't mean you're weak."

I smiled at him, his words still echoing in my mind. I didn't believe what he'd just said, but damn, it felt good to hear.