05 - The ride and rebound

a/n: So what did Kit had to say in the car?...

=====

"Why are you like this?" he asked suddenly, maybe a bit angry too judging by the tone he used. Similar to that brave "fuck you" he'd thrown out a few days ago. He twisted in his seat and tried looking me straight in the eye, but I knew better. My eyes never left the road.

"Like what?" I asked, honestly interested in what he was talking about. Although after I said it, I regretted fueling the discussion. I knew whatever his answer would be, I wouldn't like it. Just why the hell was I talking without thinking so much around this kid.

"One minute you're laughing in my face, the next you're asking for a blow job. Then you turn around and almost punched me. And now you're giving me a ride home."

When he put it like that, I realized something was seriously wrong with me. What was my problem with him, exactly? "Look, I'm just trying to end this on good terms," I said in a slow explanation, as if convincing myself of this.

"End?" Kit asked. "We didn't even start anything."

A pang of annoyance hit me. I was trying to be nice. I was trying to do good. I didn't want to argue. He should've been fucking thankful to be in the same car as me for even a fraction of a second. He was ruining it all for himself, and he was ruining my mood.

"Whatever. It's my way of clearing my conscience."

Here Kit scoffed. "You owe me so much more than a ride home." he seethed angrily. Ugh I really wanted to see his expression when he said that, surprised at his arrogance.

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

Kit was still staring at me, and I caved, meeting his eyes for the tiniest of seconds before remembering that I was adamant about avoiding such contact.

"You laughed in my face." he said bitterly. "You could have just been civil. You laughed at me." The emotion in his voice was clear, and I damned myself again for wanting to see what that would look like on him. I had to get better control of myself.

"Look, you brought that on yourself. What kind of freak goes around professing love for people he doesn't know? Besides, you didn't seem that choked up about it. It happened a year ago, get over it."

He didn't reply to this. Instead there was another moment of silence. "You almost punched me." he said, this time without as much passion or conviction.

"Almost," I repeated the keyword. "But now I'm starting to regret that I didn't." My voice was even, but it was a warning. I didn't want to continue to talk about this sort of thing. I gripped the steering wheel tightly.

"I wish you had," Kit said bitterly again.

Then I spoke without thinking, again, for the third time in ten minutes. "It's not my fault you fell in love with me. I don't even know how you could. Didn't you know I was this type of person?"

"I did!" Kit exclaimed. "I can't help how I feel. I love even the worst sides of you."

Motherfucker. What an idiot... still in love with me.

I rolled my eyes, gripping the steering wheel even harder in frustration so my knuckles turned white. It was such an awkward and ridiculous conversation I was allowing to happen. "How do you even know it's love?" I asked finally. "How do you know it's not some homo crush? And why me? Is it just because I'm the hottest guy in school?"

He shifted uncomfortably. "I can't tell you that." he said finally.

Well that is fucking frustrating.