16

a/n: Here's a new chapter. Thanks for patiently waiting 😊

=====

Ming's POV

Kit had barely stepped through the door when a flurry of balloons and confetti rained upon us. I brushed some of the paper off of my shoulder and followed him through the door with an incredible sense of unease. While taking off my shoes I cautiously scanned the entrance of his house and noticed a picture of what must've been Kit and his parents. He looked different. bright eyes and as happy as the two people next to him.

I was about to ask what happened to him when his mom rounded the corner. I admit now that I had absolutely no idea what I was getting myself into. Agreeing to a quick birthday supper had seemed somewhat tolerable. But that was before I met his parents.

"Kit! And you brought Ming! Well isn't this just a joy! Honey, come quick," his mom shouted excitedly behind her. Her voice was shrill and exuberant, and her entire face was lit up and beaming at me. I had no idea what to say to her as she practically bounded over and took me in her arms. "Oh, we are so excited to see you."

"Mom."

Kit tried to interject, but then his dad came snooping in too, and damned if he wasn't just as excited. "Kit, why didn't you tell us you were bringing company? This is perfect."

She removed herself from me, my body limp and lifeless after her embrace, and I couldn't shake the eerie vibe I was getting that they knew exactly who I was and probably why I was there in the first place. I chanced a glare at Kit who only offered a half-smile.

"Can you leave him alone?" Kit said finally after a moment of silence had passed. The two of them had been looking at me with matching fixed grins, and as soon as Kit spoke his mom slapped her hand on my shoulder and began steering me down the hall and into what was an adjacent kitchen.

"Where are my manners? I am so sorry for staring at you like that. Have you grown? You look taller," she said absently, her previously sparkling eyes turning critical as she scrutinized every inch of me. "And a bit thinner." Her tone disapproved that I was losing weight, but I had no idea what she was talking about.

"Well you know, as soon as they shoot up they thin out," Kit's father said now, taking a seat at the kitchen table and rubbing at his knees. "Just like Kit."

At the mention of Kit and his weight his mother rolled her eyes and pulled at her hair. "The things I've tried to make that boy eat! He just won't have any of it."

Kit looked absolutely uninterested in any of the conversation, even though it was about him. When I looked over, he was grabbing an apple. Why the fuck wasn't he saving me from this parental attack?

"Uh, maybe I should..."

"Yes please sit down!"

Go, I'd been about to say, but his mom was already shoving me into a chair.

"So Ming, how's school?" his dad asked, pulling his chair a little closer to mine while he leaned forwards to really get in my space. It was extremely uncomfortable, one Kit was hard enough to deal with, but two more? Both with issues respecting personal space?

"Fine," I muttered. I quickly found that I wasn't able to look him in the eyes. Embarrassment was something only distantly familiar to me, and it was taking its opportunity now to take hold and render me stiff and awkward.

"We heard your team won the cup this year. A fine achievement. I played a little soccer myself when I was young, but I wasn't really any good. Will you be going to college on a scholarship then?"