twenty one | from dust to bones

For Thor Odinson, it had been a rough five years

For Thor Odinson, it had been a rough five years. When previous loved ones had died, he had gotten over it with revenge in his heart. But once he sliced the head off of Thanos, he felt nothing like he did before. He felt no excitement, no satisfaction and definitely no happiness.

He thought that killing Thanos would work as he worked through his emotions, processing that the love of his life died in front of his eyes and simply turned to ash. In fact, he thought he was dealing with it great. With a gut full of beer, he managed to threaten gaming children as they tried to beat Korg and him in some stupid video game, not being bothered by anything at all.

His hair was no longer short as it had started to develop into some gross dreadlocks, probably because he hadn't had a shower in who knows how long. He was out of the avenging business. He finally accepted it once he had to tell Valkyrie that he had failed to protect Ingrid. He had failed her and he had no excuse for it.

She slapped him and hid her emotions. Classic Val as Ingrid would say, but Thor could tell that she was heartbroken. She was the only goddess warrior left. The last one. But once the opportunity arose, that they could potentially get everyone back, Thor didn't want to get his hopes up. His hopes had been crushed time and time again.

The only time he felt hope was when he dreamt. He dreamt they were on the beach, Ingrid dancing in front of him as her hair swirled in the wind. He no longer had his beer gut or the dreadlocks upon his head. He was the old Thor. She would always shout something at him, giggling as he grabbed her hand pulling her into his chest. But that's when it would end and he'd wake up, time and time again with his heartbroken.

He had traveled in the past, having had more than one mental breakdown on the way. He had met his mother again who was about to die and he successfully avoided his ex-girlfriend, not wanting to give her the satisfaction of knowing he had 'let himself go' as Rocket had told him. It was only when he watched the fingers of Bruce Banner snap that he felt hope once again. Hope that the dream of them on the beach could be real.

Of course, that was soon destroyed after, yet another showdown began with Thanos destroying the Avengers facility completely and whilst Thor was fighting for his life with Steve by his side, Ingrid had just been given her life back. It felt like nothing to her. All she knew was she was fading into dust and then she was just gone, but then she opened her eyes again. She was in Wakanda except when she turned to her left, Thor wasn't by her side.

"Thor!" She yelled as she looked around her at the men and women standing up, just as confused as she was. "I am Groot?" Ingrid turned to see Groot looking up at her with wide eyes. "I don't know where they are." Ingrid looked around as everyone began to look over Wakanda. It all seemed a bit confusing as people stood up on the battlefield down below, only to find that trees had started to grow next to them.

Ingrid turned to her right as the king of Wakanda walked up beside her, looking over his kingdom that seemed the same but something was different. She looked past him as a circle began with sparks going around it to reveal a man stepping out. "What is happening?" A man with a metal arm said from behind her as they all looked at the same situation with confusion.

"You're needed somewhere else. I don't have much time to explain but it has been five years and we still have a war to win. We still have Thanos to kill. There is no time to waste." Ingrid blinked slowly as she tried to process the information that was being given to them. Luckily for her, T'Challa didn't need to hear anything more. "What do you need from me?"

"An army and all of you, on that field and ready to go when I give you the signal." A slight nod of the head was all it took for the man to disappear and then everything went into chaos. Ingrid was thrown into a group with Bucky and Groot, in charge of leading an army of T'Challa's people into the battlefield when the time came. Ingrid watched a portal open up further away from them for T'Challa and his army.

"Groot, do you think he'll be happy to see me?" The teenage tree gave her a shrug. "I am Groot." Ingrid rolled her eyes before looking ahead. "Haha very funny." A portal opened up in front of them and Ingrid lifted up her sword before motioning forward. They went from the beautiful green Wakanda to the grey and destroyed Avengers building. She desperately searched for Thor's face but couldn't see him, her heart dropping slightly.

But he could see her. And in his fragile state, he almost started wailing like a child as he tried to restrain himself to run at her. The time was not now. It was time to kill Thanos. A neigh came from above her before a pegasus landed next to her. "Oh my Odin." Ingrid put her hand on his chest, hearing the heavy breathing of the pegasus that she had missed all these years.

Ingrid gave it a soft pat before jumping on its back in one swift movement. She felt wings flapping beside her causing her to look to her left and see one of her fellow warriors. They all knew that now wasn't the time to get emotional but Valkyrie couldn't help the small whimper that came from between her lips as she looked at her best friend.

Before Val had always joked she didn't need Ingrid and the two would laugh it off, but being alone and without her company for so long made her realize that she didn't want to be known as a warrior goddess without her best friend by her side. With their matching armor on, the two lifted their swords in the air as they took their eyes off of each other to look at the upcoming army.

"I haven't had a fight in years," Val announced causing Ingrid to shrug and send her a smirk. "Feels like that is what I'm always doing. I just came from a bloody fight." Val laughed and nodded, sending a glance towards her friend before looking back in front of them as the fight was about to begin. "It's good to see you, my friend," Valkyrie said causing Ingrid to nod in agreement.

"You too." The two went silent as they watched Steve Rogers at the front line, leading the herd. "Avengers Assemble!" With that, the battle of a lifetime began.

Sorry, this is short but I didn't really know how to write Ingrid waking up and then the whole dr strange shit but oh well. I can't wait to write the Ingrid and Thor reunion (I don't remember if they had a ship name but I'll think of one.) because it is going to be sweet and fucking adorable.

Thanks, Queenie.
(UNEDITED)