Chapter 5: Hangman's road to Hell

The concept of Heaven and Hell had always been bland for Hedrick. He really didn't think about that sort of thing, and why would he? He was still young, why would he think about what happens after his death?

Of course, now that had changed. He stared into his hands, he found that focusing on something made it easier for him not to cry. He wanted to cry, he truly did. But this wasn't the time or place. He didn't know where he was, he didn't know where home was, hell; he didn't even know who he was.

He had quickly noticed that not only were they purple, but they were very translucent. Staring into the sidewalk below through his hands was fun, the texture gave it a water like effect. He also noted how his hands were the only thing that could physically interact with something.

The whole Toy Store incident, for example. He also played around with the area he was in, moving chairs, pulling petals off flowers, touching windows, it gave him some closure. Knowing he could still interact with things was nice, it was like a coping mechanism.

But now wasn't the time to cope, nor was it the time to cry. Hedrick wanted to go home, and he was going back. Once he navigated New Fawn, of course.

"New Fawn's Local Mowers." He read, squinting at a sign he had found. "Geez, do people just name everything after their town or what?" He thought out loud, giggling a bit at the thought. Just think of it.

New Fawn Orphanage

New Fawn Grocery Store

New Fawn Funeral Home

New Fawn Yard Sale

Possibilities were endless, but you had to have a big ego to name everything after yourself. He stopped thinking about it, the names had lost their humor. He set back on the road again.

New Fawn didn't seem like a bad place in the slightest, it was full of life, and people seemed nice. But being desperate and restless wasn't helping, Hedrick wanted nothing to do with this town. He wanted nothing to do with being dead!

He nicknamed the place 'Hangman's Hell.' He just liked the name, and 'Hangman's Hell' had a better ring to it than New Fawn did. Other names were suitable too; 'Hell Hole', 'Despair Road', 'Hell', and many others fit, too.

Either way, this city wasn't the place to be. The more he dwelled on it, the more he felt like he was a standard 'I hate life, I'm not like the others' protagonist, that and he wanted to cry, but being the cool and different protag was more fun.

He wouldn't be surprised if something were to happen, like he would get super powers and a cool transformation scene like anime protagonists do. Of course that seems unreal. But he was a ghost; dead, anything seemed possible in his eyes now.

The silence between himself and the road he 'walked' on was nerve racking, he hated the quiet, it made him feel alone. He wasn't wrong in that fact, but he would rather hide from the truth in a situation like this.

"Hangman's Hell, the shittiest place on Earth." He mumbled to himself, "Heh, I'm sure actual Hell isn't as bad as this." He didn't want this new pessimistic attitude, and he knew his words weren't true. But his situation was dark and he wanted some comfort.

"Hangman's Road to Hell, my own personal walkway to insanity."

"That's how it is, would change the past if I could."

"If I could be Hangman, I fucking would."