Chapter 7: Rain

Hedrick continued his 'walk', he craved to go home. His urge was terrible, he wanted to see his family again, but he knew that would he hard. He would hav to make the best of New Fawn until he could find his way home.

The day was clear, a sunny sky, big clouds, it seemed perfect. Days like these were when he and Max would hang out outside. Maybe run around, just goof off. Or go into town, go to shops, have fun. He had only been dead for at least a day and yet these times seemed like distant memories.

The day wasn't that sunny anymore, the sun was close to setting. That would mark day one off of his amount of time in the afterlife. He hated this day, he managed to hold in tears, and only cried two times after he cried at the Toy Store.

This day couldn't get any worse.

Drip drip

Huh?

Drip drip

Hedrick looked up, he saw drops of rain fall to the ground. It was a small drizzle at first, but as time passed by more rain started to fall. The rain was cold, he could tell as it had fallen on his hands.

He stared at his hands, watching the drops fall. He didn't know what to think. He was flushed with memories of rainy days.

He and his parents playing in the rain when he was younger, jumping in muddy puddles after the rain passed by. Walking through the rain with his friends under the protection of an umbrella. Taking cover in Max's house during a storm. Good times. Back when he was alive.

He smiled at these memories, although he wanted to frown and cry at the same time. He watched the rain drip onto his hands some more, he felt a mixture of emotions. He wanted to scream, cry, laugh, and so much more at the same time. He never felt so thrilled, yet melancholic at the same time before.

He watched more, he started to laugh. The joyful memories filled him with determination and happiness in general. Yet, he also felt a tear fall from his eye.

He laughed and cried, watching rain fall, making puddles and flowing into sewer drains. He loved the feeling, but he also hated it. He loved it for its joy, but hated it for its tear jerking emotion.

He was too busy laughing to burst into a sob, but tears would fall. They fell hard, but whatever. No one would see, it's easy to cry in the rain, no one would notice the tears.

That and he was dead, no one would see him at all, crying or not. He liked it that way. If he could be seen, it would be hard explaining why he was laughing and crying at the same time, he couldn't describe he feeling, all he knew is that it pained yet comforted him at the same time.