32

Victoria's POV

I wiped the tears off of my cheeks when someone knocked on the door to my room. I cleared my throat and tried my best to make my voice as normal as possible, "Come in."

The door got opened and my mom looked at me smiling. I smiled back at her. She got in the room with a tray of food. "I brought lunch." She sang.

"Yayy."

She sat on the bed beside me while I sat myself up and leaned my back on the headboard. She gave me a bowl of chicken noodles. My favourite.

After a moment of me eating and her just staring at me, she suddenly spoke up, "You know, I'm reallly proud of you."

I rolled my eyes playfully, "Well, that's surprising." I said sincerely. I mean, all I've been doing these past few days were just lazying myself on the bed since I had no energy left to get up. Except when I had to go to the toilet, of course. Even then I had to use the wheelchair or someone had to help me with getting my ass up.

After I was done with my food, my mom took the empty bowl from me. "Now take your medicine. I'll be back after I wash this to make sure you already took it." She said pointedly. I gulped and nodded. She can be scary sometimes.

I took my medicine and drank some water from the bottle which was placed on the nightstand. In the middle of drinking, the door suddenly swung open and the person that stood before me made me almost spit the water out of my mouth.

I stared at him with my eyes wide opened. He also did the same, which made me wonder why, since he was the one who almost gave me a heart attack. But then I realized, my lack of hair.

Oh God. I'm so embarassed. He saw me. He saw me bald. In an instinct, I quickly covered my head with my pillow while I searched for my beanie. After I've found it, I went to wear it when I heard a faint "Don't".

I looked up at him to see he's already standing inside of my room. He put his hand up as if to stop me from doing what I was about to do. "Don't cover it. You're beautiful."

And that's how I died...

Just kidding.

I slowly and hesitantly put the beanie down. He walked up to me carefully until we're only a feet apart. He sat beside me and observed my face with the look of endearment in his eyes. I tilted my head in confusion, and he let out a breathy chuckle.

"I've missed you." He whispered.

Lucas' POV

She gasped after hearing what I said, making my smile went wider than ever before. She brought her hand up to my face and touched my cheek tenderly. She pursed her lips together before giving me the grin I've grown to love so much. "Hi." She said with her sweet voice.

I chuckled once more before cooing, "Hey."

She laughed and before I knew it, she encircled her arms around my neck, giving me a hug. I wasted no time in wrapping my arms around her waist, hugging her tightly as I breathed in her fruity scent.

All of a sudden I felt something wet on my neck. Afraid if she was hurt, I pulled away from the hug to observe her. I brushed the pads of my thumbs on her cheeks, wiping her tears off and asked, "What's wrong, baby? Where does it hurt? Hm?"

She shook her head and giggled. Wait, now she's happy? Is the tumor making her crazy?

"I'm just too overwhelmed." She said while still giggling. "You're here. With me. I thought you'd be angry since I left you without giving you a proper goodbye."

That reminds me, "Yeah, actually. Why'd you that?" I asked her with a scowl on my face while I crossed my arms over my chest, making me look somewhat intimidating.

She gulped and looked down. She fidgeted with the hem of her shirt before peeking on me behind her long eyelashes. "Uhm.." She began.

"You can say that I'm kind of afraid.." She trailed off.

I drew my eyebrows together. What does she mean by that? "What are you afraid of?"

The silence is killing me as I waited for her to answer. She is just staring down at the floor, not once has she glanced up to me, making my heart breaks a little more.

Finally she looked at me, making me almost sigh in relief. But what she said next made me feel as if I'm the most useless person in the whole wide world ever.

"Me. I'm afraid of myself."

"Why?" I managed to croak out.

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes before answering, "That morning when I was about to leave, I wanted to wake you up. I really did. But something inside me held me back from doing so.."

I said nothing and waited for her to continue while I kept staring at her. "I realized something that day and I was afraid of what I would accidentally blurt out in the middle of saying goodbye to you and that's why...I didn't wake you up."

I swallowed the lump in my throat, "Will you ever tell me what that is that you realized?"

She looked back down and shrugged. I sighed. Then I asked the question I've been wondering about these past couple of months, "Why did you leave in the first place?"

She looked back at me and let out a breath, "I wanted to be close to my family."

"What about me?"

"I-" before she could say anything else, someone knocked on the already opened door. I turned around to see her mom. I know her face since I saw a picture of her with Victoria and her dad while I was in Victoria's house.

I stood up abruptly to show her my respect. She smiled awkwardly at me and I smiled back at her as I offered my hand, "Hi, Mrs. Maurice. I'm Lucas, Victoria's friend."

She chuckled as if finally understanding something and took my hand, "So you're the guy. Vicky told me a lot about you." I didn't miss the wink she sent to her daughter.

So I'm popular here, huh.

"Oh? What made you say that?" Mrs. Maurice asked, making me raised my eyebrows before I realized that I accidentally said that out loud.

"Well, her brother told me the same thing." I remembered when I saw Jackson at their front yard. He was the one who leaded me to her room.

"He didn't say anything weird, did he?" Victoria asked, now alerted.

I put my index finger on my chin and furrowed my eyebrows, pretending to remember something Jackson said which he actually didn't, "Hm, he did say that you have a floral underwear."

Her eyes went wide and her cheeks are now flushed. Wow, so she actually has a floral undie? I need to see it.

"I like you already." Mrs. Maurice whispered beside me, making me smirk.